OAKES, Kate (Muzzy)

Well Known Woman Victim of Apoplexy


And Succumbed at Residence on Wednesday

Mrs. Kate Muzzy Oakes, widow of William Linther Oakes, died at 6:50 o'clock Wednesday morning at the family residenct, 444 South Webster street. She would have been sixty-five years old in April. Mrs. Oakes was stricken with apoplexy last Friday noon and she never regained consciousness. The news of her death is a great shock to her family and many friends in and near Decatur.

Mrs. Oakes was born at New Lexinton, Perry county, O., April 25, 1854. Her early years were spent in Terre Haute, Ind., where her father, Leonard Muzzy, was a prominent attorney. About 1875 the family moved to Decatur, where she has since resided. She was one of the early graduates of the Decatur high school.


She and William L. Oakes were married Nov 16. 1876. To this union eight children were born, of whom the following survive: William L. Oakes, Jr., Bernice Oakes, George Oakes, Dorothy Oakes and Mrs. Walter D. mannering, all of Decatur; Mrs. C.B. Padon of Chicago, and Corporal Oliver M. Oakes of Battery E, seventy-eighth A.E.F., now in France or Germany. There are seven grand-children. Mrs. Oakes also leaves two brothers and two sisters, Robert C. Muzzy, Fred L. Muzzy and Mrs. Margaret Cochran of Decatur, and Mrs. Frank Van Dugan of Milwaukee.

Mrs. Oakes was a kind and devoted mother and her loss is keenly felt. She was a consistent Christian and early identified herself with the First Baptist church.

The funeral will be held at 3 o'clock Friday afternoon at the residence, 444 South Webster street. The interment will be in Greenwood.

The Daily Review (Decatur), 12 Mar 1919

  OAKES, Ralph
Had Been Sick for Past Four Months

Ralph Oakes of Warrensburg died at 3 o'clock Saturday afternoon at the Decatur and Macon County hospital. He was nineteen years old. His death was due to complications following an attack of influenze. He had been ill for the past four months. He was a member of the Red Men's lodge, No. 405, at Warrensburg. Besides his parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Oakes, he is survived by one sister, Miss Edissa Oakes, and two brothers, Roy and Harry Oakes, all of Warrensburg.

The body was removed to the Monson & Wilcox undertaking establishment and prepared for burial and will be taken to Warrensburg. The funeral will be held there, but the time has not yet been decided upon. The interment will be in the Illini cemetery.

The Daily Review, Decatur, IL, 23 Feb 1919

  OAKES, Sarah (Wilson)

Mrs. Sarah Oakes, wife of Alderman Henry Oakes of the Fourth Ward, died at ten minutes past seven o’clock last evening, at the family No. 345 south Jefferson street. The deceased has been ill for many months and her demise was not unexpected although it brings with it pangs of sadness for her husband and children. Mrs. Oakes maiden name was Sarah Wilson, she being a daughter of Mr. Thomas Wilson, of this city, and a half sister of M.P. Murphy. She was thirty years old and has resided in Decatur for the past fifteen years. A husband and four children – two boys and two girls – survive her. Alderman Oakes and family have the sympathy of the entire community in their deep affliction. The time of the funeral has not been decided, but will be announced to-morrow.

The Daily Review, Decatur, IL, 16 Mar 1886

The funeral of the late Mrs. Henry Oakes will take place at three o’clock this afternoon from the First Methodist church, Rev. T.I. Coultas and Rev. Dr. Vosburgh officiating.

The Daily Review, Decatur, IL, 17 Mar 1886


Hugh O'Donnell died yesterday morning at the residence of his daughter, No. 1359 North Morgan street, from injuries recieved during the late war. The deceased was eighty years of age and during the war he was a member of Company K, 64th Illinois Regiment. He was a prisoner at Andersonville and was known as a brave and loyal soldier. The funeral will take place this morning at eight o'clock from the Catholic church, Rev. Father Mackin officiating.

Daily Review, Decatur, IL, 1 Jun 1886

  ODOR, Eliza

Mrs. Eliza Wales Odor died early yesterday morning at No. 1055 North Water street, aged fifty-six years, four months and eighteen days. The deceased had been ill of Bright’s disease for over a year, and for many weeks has been in a feeble and helpless condition. Her death was not unexpected. She was the widow of Thomas C. Odor, and leaves four children. They are Mrs. Bettie Shepherd and Misses Mollie Jennie and Nannie Odor. The funeral will take place at three o’clock this afternoon from the residence. Elder Pinkerton and Tyler will conduct the services.

Daily Review, Decatur, IL, 20 Apr 1886

  ODOR, Elizabeth (Logan)

Mrs. Elizabeth Odor died at 8 o'clock Monday night at her home, 1055 North Water street, where she had lived for over twenty-five years. Her death was caused by heart trouble, following a severe attack of the grip. She had been ill for almost eight weeks.

Mrs. Odor was seventy-eight year old March 20. She was born in Garrard county, Ky., March 20, 1829. Her maiden name was Elizabeth Logan and she was one of a family of nine children. On May 30, 1849, she was married to the late J. Q. A. Odor. They remained in Garrard county for three years after their marriage and then moved to Macon county, Ill., in 1852, settling on a farm a few miles south of Decatur. They remained on the farm one year and then moved to the city. They moved back to Kentucky in 1860, but in 1869 came back to Decatur and spent the remainder of their lives here. Mr. Odor died here March 22, 1904.

Mrs. Odor was one of the best known women in Decatur. She was a member of the Christian church and always took an active interest in church work. She is survived by two sisters, Mrs. Mary McMillin of Decatur and Mrs. Jane Layton of Odell, Neb. Both are over seventy years of age. Mrs. Layton, owing to feeble health, will not be able to be present at the funeral. Besides her sister, Mrs. Odor is survived by a niece, Miss Nannie Odor, who made her home with her for many years.

Mrs. Odor became a member of the Christian church in 1849 before leaving Kentucky and transferred her membership to the Decatur church when she and her husband moved here. Later when the Decatur church was divided into two organizations she went with those who constituted the Central Church of Christ. During the last few years she was unable to attend services regularly, but her interest was always strong. She was always bright and cheerful and considerate of the comfort of others.

The funeral will be held Thursday afternoon at 3 o'clock from the residence on North Water street. Rev. F. W. Burnham, now pastor of the Chruch of Christ at Springfield will be here to conduct the services. The interment will be in Greenwood.

Friends may call at the residence.

Review - Tues., April 9, 1907, col 6, p. 12

  ODOR, Joseph Q.A.

Joseph Q. A. Odor died at 9:20 o'clock Tuesday morning at his home, 1055 North Water Street

Half a century was covered by J.Q.A. Odor's honorable careet in Macon county, and at the end of his life he had hosts of friends and many relatives to mourn him. Known and respected everywhere in the county, Mr. Odor was once one of the most prominent business men in Decatur. The younger generation was not acquainted with him, but it knew him by reputation. It is the older men who tell about him and what he did.

Mr. Odor's death had been expected for a long time. It was perhaps hastened by a broken hip. The injury was received on March 2, when Mr. Odor fell out of a rocking chair. For the last seventeen years or more he has been paralyzed in one side. It is supposed that he tried to get up and fell over in the attempt. The turn for the worse came Monday, and Mr. Odor sank gradually to his death.

Joseph Q. A. Odor was born in Garrard county, Ky, March 30, 1827. He went to school in Kentucky and became a school teacher. He taught in Garrard county several years. In 1849 he married Miss Elizabeth Logan, also of that county. She survives him.

Three years later he came to Illinois and settled in Macon county. He then lived south of the Sangamon river and taught a school there. He taught two years or a little longer and then moved to Decatur. The first position he took after coming to Decatur was that of deputy sheriff under Steve Whitchouse. He kept that till 1856, when he made the race for circuit clerk on the Democratic ticket and got the position. He served till 1860, and then defeated by William L. Hammer, who ran on the Republican ticket.

After that he formed a partnership with James Millikin and opened a bank on Merchant street when Danzelsen's meat market is now. The firm was known as Millikin & Odor, and the bank was called the State bank. In the banking business Mr. Odor stayed two or three years. His wife's health was so poor that he finally moved to Louisvill, Ky. There he became partner in a banking firm and passed through the most prosperous part of his life.

In the fall of 1869 he returned to Decatur, his wife having recovered and he having sold his interests in Louisville. He formed a partnership with Thomas Smith and William L. Hammer, who had defeated him in the race for circuit clerk, and with them opened a bank under the firm name of Smith, Hammer and company. Smith later went to California and the firm became Rucker, Hammer and company. Rucker finally retired, though his name continued in the firm. On account of several complications the bank failed in 1877. The Peddecord & Burrows bank afterwards occupied the same spot. In the failure of the bank almost all Mr. Odor's property was swept away.

Later Mr. Odor was elected justice of the peace to fill a vacancy. and in 1886 was elected to a full term. In 1887 he was stricken with paralysis. He served two or three years longer and since then he has been out of active life.

Before he went back to Kentucky Mr. Odor lived on West North street. After he returned to Decatur he resided in the 800 block of North Water street. Later he went to live at 1055 North Water and made his home there for twenty-four years.

He was an active member of the Central Church of Christ. He held many offices in that church and was one of its most active workers. At different times he was elder and superintendent of the Sunday school. He started the Leafland avenue mission.

He was a Mason and affiliated with Macon lodge No. 8, A. F. & A. M. He became a Mason before he left Kentucky the first time. The Masons will have charge of the funeral.

Mr. Odor never had any children. He had several nieces and nephews. Miss Nannie Odor, Thomas L. Odor, Nelson Odor, Mrs. Hiram Ward, and Mrs. Lucy Jones; also Mrs. Harry Rickey of Cleveland, Mrs. George Shepherd of Hot Springs, and William Odor of Iowa, Lucy Jones.

Mr. Odor was a man of strong character, even tempered, good natured, and lovable. Under all his misfortunes he was cheerful. He took his last injuries far less to heart than did the rest of his family. He was patient and charitable and well liked.

The funeral will be held from the residence at 4 o'clock Thursday after noon.

Review - Tues, March 22, 1904, p. 10, col 5

(Mr. Odor was buried in Greenwood Cem.)

  OGLESBY, Annie White


On Saturday afternoon the remains of Mrs. Annie Oglesby, wife of Governon Richard J. Oglesby, were interred in Greenwood Cemetery. The funeral services proper were held at the Executive Mansion, in Springfield, Rev. L.B. Carpenter, in Springfield, officiating. A special train was provided for the occasion, which arrived here soon after one o'clock, bringing the body of the deceased, the relatives and a large number of friends. Carriages were in waiting at the depot, and the funeral cortege, which was one of the largest ever seen in Decatur, proceeded to the cemetery without delay. For more than an hour prior to the arrival of the train citizens had been flocking to the cemetery, and before the procession reached the grave the grounds were crowded with people. The simple but beautiful service of the Methodist church was read at the grave, an appropriate hymn was sung by the choir composed of ladies and gentlemen residing in this city, a short prayer was offered by Rev. Mr. Carpenter, and the funeral was over.

Mrs. Oglesby was the daughter of J.G. White, Esq., of this city, was was married to her now bereaved husband in 1839. She was the mother of four children, two of whom, a son and a daughter, survive her. She leaves a large circle of friends, both in Springfield and in this city, who sincerely deplore her early death, and who sympathize deeply with her bereaved family.

Decatur Republican, 11 Jun 1868

  OGLESBY, Richard M.   
Death of Dick Oglesby From Thursday’s Daily

Last night at 8 o'clock Alex Montgomery received a telegram from Mrs. Kellogg, Chicago, mother-in-law of the deceased, stating briefly that she had just been informed by telegraph that Richard M. Oglesby, the actor, had been killed at Marionville, Missouri. The information was sent her by Mr. Burton, probably the manager of the show with which the deceased has been traveling. Last night Mr. Montgomery telegraphed to Marionville for particulars of the death of Dick. This morning he received a brief reply stating that the remains would be sent to Decatur for burial and that particulars would be sent by letter. The body is expected to arrive tonight from the west at 10:30 o'clock.

The deceased was a native of Kentucky and was aged 39 years. He was a son of Willis S. Oglesby, who was captain of Co, E, 41st Illinois regiment, who was killed in action at Shiloh, April 6, 1862. His mother is Mrs. William E. Bingham, of this city, and his sister is Mrs. Alex Montgomery, Mrs. Belle Wheeler being a half sister. He is a second cousin of Governor Oglesby. Dick was twice married, the first wife having died. The second wife was a Miss Kellogg. Her home is in Chicago. A son aged 18 years by the first wife, and a daughter aged 11 years, by the second wife, are the surviving children.

The deceased entered the Federal service as a drummer boy and was honorably discharged as a veteran. Dick has spent his years since the war on the dramatic stage, and was recognized by the profession generally as a clever comedian. His greatest character was that of Wool in "Hidden Hand." He was also a fine singer and an accomplish dancer.

He has had the personal management of several companies during his career, and one season had the "Oglesby Troubadours" on the road traveling through the northwest. He spent his vacation last summer in Decatur, and temporarily filled an engagement with the Maud Atkinson troupe in August at the opera house. Dick was a jovial wholesome young man who loved his profession, and while he had not been in Decatur for any length of time for many years, he had a large circle of friends in the community who will be shocked to learn of his sudden death.

Funeral of Richard M. Oglesby From Friday's Daily

The remains Dick Oglesby, the actor, arrived in the city last night from Marionville Mo., and this forenoon the funeral took place from the residence of Mrs Alex. Montgomery, sister of the deceased, on West Main Street. A large company of friends attended the service, which was conducted by Rev. T. W. Pinkerton, of the Christian church, who selected for his text the words: "What is your life"— James iv.-14. The choir comprised Chas. Montgomery, Mrs. O. F. Spaulding and Mrs. John E. Patterson. The selections were: "Abide with Me," "Thy Will be Done," and "Jesus, Lover of My Soul.' The body was taken to Greenwood for interment. Messrs. D. A. Maffit, Charles Martin, F. W. Haines, E. W. Wood and J. B. Dinges acted an pall-bearers.

But little is yet known of the manner f the death of Dick. The body was found near Marionville alongside the railway track, by two railroad men, with a deep dent in the forehead and a long scratch on one arm. The supposition is lat he must have fallen from a train on which he was a passenger. The promised letter giving the full particulars of his death so far as known at Marionville has not yet arrived.

Dick Oglesby Murdered by Tramps and Thrown Out of a Car - From Saturday’s Daily

The relatives of the late Richard M. Oglesby have been unable to get any communication from Marionville, Mo., the particulars of his death. In he Chicago Herald of today appears the following telegram, which probably tells the whole story of Dick's sad end:

SPRINGFIELD, MO OCT 19 – Late on Tuesday night a number of section men employed by the Frisco road discovered, the body of a. man lying by the side of the track 16 miles west of here, who had been murdered and the body placed where it was discovered, in order to give ,he impression of accidental death. The skull had been crashed with a coupling pin, which was found some fifty yards down the track. The body was identified is that of Richard M. Oglesby, a cousin of the governor of Illinois, and whose home was at Decatur, Ill. This morning an additional clue was discovered which leads to the belief that Oglesby was attacked by tramps in a boxcar, who thought to rob him, and being resisted murdered him and threw the body from the car. How Oglesby came to be in the car, or what he was doing in this part of the country is not known. The crew of the freight train on which the murder was committed all profess ignorance of the dead man or his assailants, but a yard hand at Monette states that when the train arrived there three suspicious looking characters left an empty boxcar and walked rapidly away.

The body was sent to Decatur in a coffin without having received proper attention. There were no marks of violence except the fracture of the skull and a scratch on the arm. He could not have received the wounds by a fall from a train. His clothing was well brushed when the body arrived here, but it appeared that Dick had not been shaved for about a week. He had probably left the dramatic company with which he had been traveling. There was not a cent of money on his person—nothing but his papers and some letters, which led to his identity. The authorities in Missouri will doubtless do there best to hunt down the murderers and bring them to justice.

The Decatur Republican, Decatur, IL, Thursday, 25 Oct 1888, pg. 3

  OLSEN, Arthur Mearle

Arthur Mearle, infant son of Mr. and Mrs. A. Olson, died of congestion of the lungs on Tuesday, March 12, at 9 p.m. at the family residenct, No. 451 East North street, aged 9 months.

Daily Republican (Decatur), 13 Mar 1889

  OLSON, Ole B.   

The funeral of Ole U. Olson was held at 1 o'clock Tuesday afternoon at the home of his sister, Mrs. E.W. McCleary. 904 West Green Street. The services were conducted by Rev. R.E, Henry, pastor of the First Christian church. There was a large attendance, the house being filled with friends.

Many members of Company A, Fourth Regiment. I.N.G., or which he was a member, were present. The music was furnished by Mrs. O.M. Rose and Mrs. Mont E., Henderson. There were many beautiful floral tributes in charge of Miss. Etta Lutz, Miss Florence Wheeler, Miss Charlotte Lichtenberger and Miss Lola Lichtenberger.

The firing squad and color guard were composed of E.W. Stuart, Arthur Smith. C.W. Tuttle, J.S. Tapscott, J. Picard, E. Osborn, E.R. Collins, Ray Parks and William White all of company A. The pallbearers, also from company A, were Hugh W. Housum. M.U. Armentrout, K.L. Shuffer, J. C. Keefe, C. Denhard and T. A. Mecce. The interment was in Fairlawn cemetery, with military honors. "Taps" were sounded by James Humphrey.

The Decatur Daily Review, Decatur, IL, Wednesday, 5 Oct 1921, pg. 12

  OREN, Mrs. Maggie

The funeral of Mrs. Maggie Oren was held yesterday afternoon at 2 o'clock from St. Patrick's church. The service was a very impressive one and was largely attended by friends of the family. Many beautiful flowers were strewn on and around the casket.

Daily Review (Decatur), 1 May 1892

  ORR, Charlie

DECATUR - Charlie Orr 83 of Decatur went home to be in Glory on Wednesday March 28, 2007 in Decatur Memorial Hospital. Homegoing services will be 12:00 pm Monday April 2, 2007 in New Millennium Faith Church of The Living God, 1075 N. Main St. Decatur Illinois with Elder Todd McClelland officiating and Overseer E. F. Grey Jr. Eulogist. Visitation will be two hours before service in the church with Masonic Rites conducted by John C. Ellis Lodge #17 F. & A.M. at 11:30 am. Burial will be in Macon County Memorial Park.

Charlie was born January 17, 1924 in Sardis, MS the son of Curtis and Willie (Hiblet) Orr. He was a Founding member of Church of the Living God Temple # 1 PGT and a Senior Deacon since 1951. He worked at A.E. Staley Manufacturing for 42 years and 2 months He was a volunteer for the Salvation Army, Red Cross, Dove, and Koury Little League Baseball. He served 21 years in the Decatur Auxiliary Police Department finishing as a Captain. He was also a member of John C. Ellis Lodge # 17 F. & A.M. He married Avery Woods in Arkansas on March 29, 1944.

He leaves not to mourn but cherish fond memories his wife Avery of 63 years; son, Brian Orr of Decatur; brothers, Rare Orr (Aretha) of Atlanta Georgia; C.Q. Orr of Sandusky, OH; sister Willie B. Orr of Cleveland, OH; five generations of special nieces and special nephews. He also leaves a host of cousins, church family, other friends and colleagues. He was preceded in death by his parents, three brothers: A.D., Curtis, and Hershell, one sister: Virginia.

The family would like to thank Dr. Cohen, Dr. Bilyeu, DMH ICU West, and DMH 4th floor Unit for all their care. The family of Charlie Orr has entrusted his care to Moran & Goebel Funeral Home and Cremation Services, 2801 N. Monroe Street.

Herald & Review (Decatur), 1 Apr 2007

Submitted by: Kathy Ikeda

  ORR, Mrs. Mary

At her home at 1057 West Howard street on Monday occurred the death of Mrs. Mary Orr, aged 71 years. Her death was due to cancer. The funeral occurred yesterday afternoon at 3:30 o'clock, the services conducted by Rev J. Finley, being held at the family residence. The pall bearers were J.A. Bullard, Jesse Morrow, John Sowards, J.B. Gillette, H.W. Baldridge and John Reed. The interment was at Greenwood.

Herald Despatch, 9 April 1898

  ORTH, J.

SUDDEN DEATH - Mr. J. Orth, third assistant clerk of the House, died very suddenly at his room at the Franklin house, on last Saturday evening. He resided in Wabash county. By a resolution of the House, Messrs. Preston and Whitfield were appointed a committee to take charge of his remains and convey them home.

Illinois State Chronicle (Decatur), 12 Feb 1857


Owen Orvelle died on Thursday evening, at nine o’clock, at his parents’ residence on Mason street. The funeral will take place this afternoon at two o’clock, from the Baptist church, Rev. Dr. Vosburgh officiating.

Daily Review, Decatur, IL, 17 Apr 1886


In Oakley township, on Sunday at 9 a.m., of abscess of the stomach, A. Osborn, aged 76 years. The funeral will take place to-morrow morning at 10 a.m., from Fairview church. Interment in the Spangler's cemetery.

Decatur Daily Republican, Decatur, IL, 6 Jan 1890

  OWEN, Albert

The funeral of Albert Owen took place yesterday afternoon from the Baptist church, and was largely attended by the relatives and friends of the deceased. Rev. Dr. Vosburgh conducted the services and the remains were laid to rest at Greenwood cemetery. Music was furnished by a choir composed of Mrs. O.F. Spaulding, Mrs. W.R. Scruggs and Messrs. Peter Perl and Budge Brown. The pall-bearers were Messrs. Daniel Moore, Andrew Peters, E.C. Moore, Fillmore Smith, Henry Hall and Levi Hall.

Daily Review, Decatur, IL, 18 Apr 1886

  OWEN, Ralph

On Sunday May 29, 1887 Ralph, son of Mr. and Mrs. O.G. Owen, of South Broadway, aged seven years 12 months and 12 days.

Saturday Herald, 4 June 1887

P.O. BOX 1548
DECATUR, IL 62525-1548

Other Obit Pages

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X - Y - Z

This Page Was Last Updated  Sunday, 21-Jan-2018 11:33:39 EST

Copyright 2011 by Cheryl Rothwell for ILGenWeb

All materials contained on these pages are furnished for the free use of individuals engaged in researching their personal genealogy. Any commercial use or any use for which money is asked or paid for any reason is strictly prohibited.