KANAN, Michael F., Captain   


End Comes Suddenly to Long Prominent Man


Charter Member of Old Post One, Grand Army

Captain M.F. Kanan, ex-mayor and one of the most prominent citizens of Decatur, died suddenly just before 11 o'clock Friday forenoon at his home, 247 East Wood street.

He had not been in good health for the last ten years, suffering from a chronic case of kidney trouble, but his change was so gradual as to be scarcely noticeable. About three weeks ago he had a sudden attack of what appeard to be heart failure. It was of short duration and he soon rallied. He was able to be up and around town, and when he got up Friday morning he appeared to be as well as he had been for some time.


About 9 o'clock he experienced a severe attack and Mrs. Kanan telephoned for her brother, Joseph W. McClellan, state bank insepector, to come to the house. He went over and Captain Kanan soon got better and was able to sit up on the side of the bed. He had all his clothes on and he and Mrs. Kanan were to have gone to Miss Josephine Stamper's for dinner.

When Captain Kanan lay down on the bed in the first attack Friday morning he kept his clothes on. Later Mr. McClellan helped him off with his coat and collar, but he would not remove his other clothing, believing that the attack would soon be over.


About 10:45 he had another attack and in five minutes he was dead. Physicians had been summoned, but he was dead when they arrived. Captain Kanan had not only been mayor of Decatur, but was also state senator one term. The funeral will probably not be held until Monday afternoon.

M.F. Kanan was born near Troy, N.Y., 71 years ago. His ancestors were Irish. He came to Decatur early in the '50's. He was a clerk in a store in his early years in Decatur.

He enlisted at Decatur in the Forty-first regiment, Colonel I.C. Pugh's regiment. April 8, 1862, he was made captain of Company A. He was with his comopany at several of the principal battles of the war and was at the seige of Vicksburg.


After the war he returned to Decatur and went into business, becoming connected with the Decatur furniture company, first as bookkeeper. About 1880 he was made secretary-treasurer of that organization and held that position until it went out of business.


He was mayor from 1885 till 1891 and after that was state senator. He was president of the Decatur club one year, being elected in 1905.


Captain Kanan and Miss Jane McClellan of Decatur were married at Kansas City Nov. 12, 1903. The widow survives him and is the only near relative. Captain Kanan was always prominent in the Republican party and was half a century one of its most influential members in this section. He was for many years connected with the county central committee,k or other party committees, and was always consulted in matters of moment in party affairs. He was recognized as having great influenence in all political undertakings.


His administration as mayor is often spoken as among the best in a business way that the city ever had and it was at that time that some of the most important public improvements were made. It was soon after his election that the first general street paving movement began and before he went out of office the city that one his coming in had practically no paving had laid many miles of brick streets.


Among the streets frist paved at that time were Water street, North Main street, Lincoln square, Prairie street, Wood street, William street, North street, Eldorado street and some of the north and south streets. The main sewers, costing more than $125,000, were also contracted for and for the most part built while he was mayor.


No one here could tell such stories of the Civil War as Captain Kaplan. He had a very retentive memory and talked well. Nothing pleased him more than to get a good listener and sit and tell stories of his experiences in the war. Coming from him the most simple and comming things become interesting. He had the gift of the born story teller.

Only yesterday morning Captain Kanan was in the L. Burrows & Co., bank, a favorite loafing place of his, and was talking to Lowber Burrows about some incidnets of the war. He had seen an article in a newspaper about a General Cushman. He wondered if that was Colonel Cushman whom he knew and of whim he told an anecdote.


Mr. Burrows, who knew Captain Kanan well said of him, "No man in Decatur had a higher reputation for absolute honesty and integrity. His word was never questioned. I have known him to reward even his enemies. He was a man of strong convictions and absolute sincerity.


Judge Johns said of him:

"He was one of the best soldiers that ever lived. Members of the Forty-first regiment would swear by him. He was just as cool and deliberate under fire as at any other time. In camp the comfort of his men was always uppermost in his mind. He was the truest, sincerest friend that I ever knew. He had few occasions to call on his friends, but he always responded when any friends called on him. He could have been department commander of the G.A.R. He could have had any honor that the old soldeirs could have conferred on any one of their number. He was of retiring disposition and shunned publicity. He did not care particularly to go to the senate and he hated to make a speech."

The Daily Review (Decatur), 19 Mar 1909


Captain Riebsame Will Be At Captain Kanan's Funeral Monday

The funeral of Captain M.F. Kanan will be held at 3 o'clock Monday afternoon from the residence on East Wood street. Though Captain Kanan was a prominent member of both the Masons and Knights of Phthias, his identification with the Grand Army of the Republic was such that it would be out of the question to have any other organization in charge of the funeral, so the services will be under the auspices of Dunham post 141, G.A.R. The interment will be in Greenwood.


In accordance with an agreement made with Captain Kanan last summer at a regimental reunion held in Decatur, Captain C. Riebsame of Bloomington, the last surviving member of the original post 1, G.A.R., will attend the funeral of his old friend and comrade on Monday afternoon. Although the two men had met and fraternized many times in the years since the war, and since they met for the formation of the original Grand Army post, yet the subject of the death of either had not been mentioned till their last meeting, when Captain Kanan, grasping his Bloomington comrade by the hand, asked him to agree that the one who should survive the death of the other should attend the funeral. This they both did, and Captain Reibsame will carry out his solemn and sad duty.

"I may not remain long myself," said Captain Riebsame, in speaking of the incident.

Captain Riebsame paid a heart-felt tribute to his old comrade, in speaking of his death. He said they had been friends in the days before the war, and Captain Kanan had taken pleasure in teaching Captain Riebsame, then a young man and not very familiar with English literature, some of the choice writings in that tongue. They had kept up with increasing zeal this friendship ever since and the Bloomington man loved and honored his comrade with the advancing years of both.

The Daily Review (Decatur), 20 Mar 1909

The funeral of Captain M.F. Kanan will be held at 3 o'clock Monday afternoon from the residence on East Wood street. It will be under the auspices of Dunham Post 141, G.A.R. Captain Riebsame of Bloomington, the only surviving member of old Post 1, will be here to attend the services. The semon will be preached by Rev. George P. Hoster, rector of St. John's Episcopal church. The interment iwill be at Greenwood.

The Daily Review (Decatur), 21 Mar 1909

Captain M.F. Kanan was about as generally known in this community as any man who has lived in it. Also he was about as widely known in a way, for he he could have gone to any pasrt of the country and on short notice scrpaed up at least collateral acquaintances. He had been around some in his time and he had a good memory; also wherever he went and stopped for a few days he was recognized as a man out of the ordinary. No two of us are alike, but Captain Kanan was considerably more unlike than the run of people.

In all truth many good things can be said for the man. They tell of him that he was the best business mayor Decatur has had. Not all of them waited until he died to say that; it is a remark you could have hears on the streets of Decatur for the last half dozen years. The city was fortunate in getting him for mayor at the time it did, for during those years it was especially in need of a careful business manager. Since then it might have used that talent to advantage, but it was needed most at that time. Decatur then quit being a burg and started in to become a city; Captain Kanan had a larger directing hand than anyone else in that change. That he did his work well is indicated by the conditions in which he left the city's finances. Certainly he made a great deal of the very limited means at his command; and he always had the caution that made it natural and easy for him to resist every temptation to go beyond the city's means. It seems to us that he got most out the situation, and that it was always instinct in him to know when to stop.

Likely the most important work of his life was what he did as mayor of Decatur, important in the sense that it will ahve most lasting desirable results. It is a little strange that he was given the opportunity to do this work, for he was not a speeckmaker, not even a mixer. One must be in politics to be mayor, and mixing and talking are still considered requisites in any sort of political career, and they were even more so in the days of Captain Kanan was at the head of affairs. Of course he had political talent, for he was prominent in the game for forty years, and a thing of that kind does not just happen. He must have had an insight in the game that is denied to most of us.

He was never a grafter in politics; so clean was his record in that particular that it was not even questioned. We are glad to note that many did not fail to mention this to the reporters when the captain died; it was recognized as something worth saying of a man.

Captain Kanan held other political positions and was also prominent in G.A.R. circles; but his disposition in all of them, as when he was mayor, was not to make noise with his tongue. This was worth something to him; when he retired from active political life about a dozen years ago it was not necessary for him to change his manner in the least. He continued to meet men in just the same way, walked practically the same subjects, apparently had exactly the same interests in life that had been his. It means that when in office he conducted himself toward his fellow men just the same when out. Office was a mere incedent in his life; not a crowning consummation or anything of that kind. This along stamps him as having been a remarkable man. We think of other men as having once been mayor, and that is all their names suggest to us; we think of the man who has just died as Captain Kanan, who for more than fifty years in Decatur was much the same; always capable and interesting, never allowing himself one day to cast a shadow over himself another day. He was an exceptional personality.

The Daily Review (Decatur), 21 Mar 1909

The death of M.F. Kanan reminds Charles Laux of the St. Nicholas hotel of his first meeing with Mr. Kanan. It was in 1857, Mr. Laux thinks, and his family had just come to the town. They were residing southwest of the city. Mr. Kanan, who had also lately come, was bookkeeper for a packing house located on the premises which the Parlor market now occupies at the corner of West Main and Lincoln square.

Mr. Laux determined to boom the family income a little by marketing some of the timber on the property as firewood. He admits that he did not know anything about timber, in fact could not distinguish between elm and pine. Therefore, it is not surprising that the first tree he cut was a water elm. He selected this because it was straight and he thought it would split well. He cut it into stove wood lengths and split it to the proper size to appeal to the taste of fastidious purchasers. Then he put a load on the wagon and hauled it to town. The first man he met was M.F. Kanan. Mr. Kanan was shivering in a little box-like office and he wanted a fire. The wood looked good to him and he bought it. Both men were satisfied and Mr. Laux went his way.

It was some time afterward when Laux came to town and again saw Mr. Kanan.

"You are the man who sold me the wood," said Mr. Kanan sternly. "Come in here. I want to show you something."

Mr. Laux followed him, half frightened and not knowing what would happen next. They entered the little office which showed no signs of warmth. Mr. Kanan opened the stove door and pointed within. The stove was filled with sticks of elm wood. Underneath this the pine kindling had burned out without igniting the elm. But the sticks were steaming and the water dripping from the ends trickled across the stove hearth.

Mr. Laux looked in amazement and finally said, "Why, we don't put water on our wood when we want to start a fire."

Mr. Kanan explained that the water was not on the wood but in it, and added that he had paid more per cord for water than water was really worth in Illinois at that season of the year. However, he would ignore that transaction and he hoped Mr. Laux would bring him another load - wood this time - not water.

From this time on, Mr. Laux knew elm when he sae it, and Mr. Kanan had also acquired some knowledge of fuel. The relations of the two men were ever cordial, but Mr. Kanan could not forbear from time to time making some remark about that cord of water.

The Daily Review (Decatur), 22 Mar 1909


Funeral Services Held This Afternoon at Residence

The funeral of Captain M.F. Kanan was held at 3 o'clock Monday afternoon at the residence, 247 East Wood street, attended by scores of old friends and former comrades who turned out to pay their last tribute of respect to a brave soldier and honored citizen. Old soldiers, Kinghts of Pythias, Masons, friends from all walks of life were there. The house was filled and many had to stand outside during the services. The floral tributes were exceeingly beautiful.

Mayor E.S. McDonald, the members of the city council, heads of the city departments, and several of the ex-mayors attended the funeral. Charles A. Partridge, of Waukegan, assistant department adjutant of the G.A.R. was here to attend the funeral.


The services at the house were simply, but impressive. The Episcopal burial service was read by Rev. George P. Hoster, rector of St. John's church. The music was furnished by a quartet composed of Mrs. Corydon C. Nicholson, Miss Theckla Leafbourg, Mr. Hodge and Elmer Lyons. Their selections were "Asleep in Jesus," "Abide in Me," and "Rock of Ages."


The members of Dunham post 141, accompanied by Captain Riebsame of Bloomington, the only surviving member of old Post 1, G.A.R. attended in a body and acted as an escort to the grave. The members of Coeur de Leon lodge No. 17, Knights of Pythias, also attended in a body and many members of the Masonic lodge were also in attendance.

At the grave the ritualistic exercises of the Grand Army of the Republic were conducted. Taps were sounded over the grave and the last tribute of respect from his old comrades had been paid.

The active pallbearers were John Armstrong, C.M. Imboden, F.L. Hays, John B. Prestley, Charles T. Kellam and J.F. Roach. The honorary pallbearers were L. Burrows, B.O. McReynolds, Judge W.C. Johns, Captain R.P. Lytle, Dr. Cass Chenoweth, W.S. Grubbs, I.N. Cool and D.C. Shockley. The interment was at Greenwood.

Will McClellan of Kansas City and brother Ed McClellan of Kansas were in Decatur for the funeral. Will McClellan gets here once or twice a year, but Ed McClellan has not been here for several years.

The Daily Review (Decatur), 22 Mar 1909


Adjutant General Scott and Past Commander Inman of the G.A.R., were both in Decatur Monday to attend the funeral of Captain M.F. Kanan. Between 140 and 150 member of Dunham Post, No. 141, G.A.R. attended the Kanan funeral. By actual count 104 were in the line that formed at the post hall and forty or fifty more joined them at the Kanan residence.

Captain Kanan's Company

Maroa, March 29 - Editor Review; please allow me to correct your statements in Sunday's Review regarding Captain Kanan's company. There were ten of his company at the funeral service, Albert Bell, H.M. Stever, William Parr and Bert Strope of Argenta left for home after the funeral. The six that attended the body to the cemetery whose pictures were in the Review were George Betzer, K.H. Roby and Aaron Smick of Decatur, C.C. Crandall, Maroa; Aaron Cole, Cerro Gordo; and Joe Ray, Emery. The ocmpany has one commissioned officer alive, Lieutenant Rolando Bell of Wichita, Kan.

After nearly half a century wrongs have been forgotten; but with Kanan there was none to forget. We knew him as a man, soldier, and friend who never committed a wrong toward his men. Kanan needs no eulogy. Our feelings toward him are unknown the the civilian, growing stronger as the years pass by. He was only equaled in our regiment by Colonel Harner, who lost his commission by kindness to his men. Signed, C.C. Crandall.

The Daily Review (Decatur), 31 Mar 1909

  KAPE, Willie

Willie, the seven-months old son of Frank Kape, died yesterday morning of teething, and will be buried at four o'clock this afternoon, Rev. Landgraff officiating.

The Daily Review, Decatur, IL, 29 Apr 1886


The funeral of Mrs. Annie Karlofski will be held at 2 o'clock Thursday afternoon from St. Johannes German Lutheran church. The pastor, Rev. liam (?) Heyne, will officiate. The burial will be in Greenwood cemetery.

The Daily Review, Decatur, IL, 13 Apr 1904

  KASSE, Peter   


Death of a Young Man Mangled by the Cars at Blue Mound

BLUE MOUND, ILL., Sept. 29, '79

EDS. REPUBLICAN: - The man that was run over by the cars here last Saturday morning, died about 7 o'clock the same evening, two hours after his leg and arm were amputated. His sufferings until put under the influence of chloroform, were most intense, and he begged those standing about to shoot him and put an end to his suffering. The amputations were performed by Dr. R.W. Shaw, a skillful surgeon of Macon, assisted by Dr. Tobey of this place. The man's name was Peter Kasse, instead of Cassidy, as reported by card Saturday. He was a strong, fine-looking young man, about 30 years old. His parents are dead, but he has a sister living in Cleveland, O., where he had formerly resided. He served 4 years and 4 months in the union army during the late war. He was buried about 3 o'clock p.m. yesterday, at the Hall cemetery, north of town, a large number of our citizens accompanying his remains to their last resting place. Deceased was an employe of the Wabash railray; had come here from Morrisonville on Friday, and while here indulged pretty freely in drinking at the Blue Mound saloon, and was intoxicated when he made the disastrous attempt to board the train. This is clearly another victim of King Alcohol. On his little finger was a plain silver ring, on the inside of which was engraved the word "Mother." E.T. CLEMENTS

The Daily Republican, Decatur, Monday, 29 Sep 1879

  KECK, Andrew J.   

The death of Alexander Keck was briefly mentioned in Sunday morning’s Review. Mr. Keck died at 12:30 o’clock Sunday morning, Dec. 26, at his home, 849 East William street. He was 62 years old and his death was caused by a complication of diseases. He was a veteran of the late war, having served in Company C. of the One Hundred and ninety-fourth Ohio infantry. He had been a resident of Decatur for fifteen years and had a great many fiends here who held him in highest esteem. He is survived by five children, john Keck of Clinton, Frank, Joseph, William and Miss Florence Keck of Decatur.

The funeral was held at 2 o’clock yesterday afternoon from St. Patrick’s Catholic church and was largely attended. The services were conducted by Rev. Father Brady. The pall bearers were John Gogenty, William Ryan, Dan McNamara, John Murphy, T.F. Muleady and James Delaney. The interment was at Calvary.

The Daily Review, Decatur IL, 28 Dec 1897

The announcement of his death published in The Daily Review, Decatur IL, 26 Dec 1897 uses the name Andrew instead of Alexander.

  KECK, Mrs. Jacob J.

The funeral of Mrs. Jacob J. Keck was held at 2:30 Saturday afternoon at the family residence, 811 East Leafland avenue. The house was filled with friends and many stood in the yard during the services. There were many floral tributes. The services were conducted by Rev. Roy G. Catlin, pastor of the First English Evangelical Lutheran church. The music was furnished by Mrs. Leslie Dillehunt and Arthur Van Cleve. The flowers were in charge of Miss Shultz, Miss E. Rostek, Miss Agnes Haffey, Miss Julia Haffey, and Miss Ruth Giblin. The pallbearers were Arnest Wenger, Bernard Klye, Henry Olpse, John Barren, Edward Bauer, and John Keck. The interment was in Greenwood.

Daily Review (Decatur), 1 August 1915

  KEENAN, William   

The death of William Keenan, the proprietor of the board of trade, occurred last evening at 6:30 o’clock, at the family residence on North Water street, after a brief illness. The deceased came home from Chicago last Sunday, quite sick. The immediate cause of his death was blood poisoning, resulting from the treatment of a corn on his right foot. Mr. Keenan was born in Clinton county, Ohio, on February 8, 1834, and was in the 50th year of his age at the time of his death. He leaves a widow and three children – Mrs. John Record, of Monticello, and Oscar and Lillie Keenan. The family resided at Monticello for many years and removed to Decatur in 1880. Mr. Keenan was mostly engaged in the grain commission business, and not long since opened the board of trade room on the south side of the old square. He was a man well known in Central Illinois as a careful business man and an upright citizen.

He served in the late war as a member of the 70th Ohio Volunteers, and was a member of the Ex-Prisoners of War Association of Illinois. He was also a member of Dunham Post, No. 141, Grand Army of the Republic.

The funeral took place this afternoon at 2 o’clock from the family residence, and was conducted by Dunham Post, No. 141, in compliance with the request of the deceased. The sermon was delivered by Rev. D.P. Bunn in the presence of a large assembly of comrades and friends. The remains were sent at 3 o’clock to Monticello for burial. They were accompanied by the family and relatives of the deceased, and by a Grand Army escort selected by Post Commander Steele. The body will be laid in the grave this evening with military honors.

The deceased carried several thousand dollars insurance on his life.

Decatur Daily Republican, Decatur IL, 18 Jul 1883

  KELLER, Eddie

Eddie Keller, son of Mr. and T.M. Keller died at 8:15 Friday Nov. 1, at their home near Sangamon, of stomach and bowel trouble, aged 8 years. The funeral will be held Saturday Nov. 2 at 1 p.m. from North Fork church. Interment at North Fork cemetery.

Evening Bulletin (Decatur), 1 Nov 1895

  KELLY, Louise Jane (Stamper)
Louise, wife of J.W. Kelley died at St. Marys hospital Saturday afternoon where she had gone to receive medical treatment. The deceased is survived by her husband, J.W. Kelley and her daughters Mrs. Marian Logan and Miss Louise Kelley and son, Will Kelley. The funeral will be from the family residence on North Edward street Monday forenoon.

Decatur Herald, 4 Sep 1900

  KELLY, John William


Shock Causes Death of Salesman


Grandfather of Jacquelin Logan, Film Star

John William Kelly, 327 South New street, who was injured shortly before 5 oclock Saturday evening when dragged by an interurban car at the intersection of Main and Wood streets, died at 2:45 oclock Monday morning at St. Marys hospital as a result of his injury. Most of the flesh was torn from his right leg from his hip to his ankle. Death resulted from the shock. He was seventy-five years old last July.


Mr. Kelly was born in Sangamon county, July 3, 1850. He was a traveling salesman for thirty-one years or more, and during all of that time he lived in Decatur, coming here from Morrisonville. At the time of his death he was traveling for the Maxwell Candy company. He was a member of the First Methodist church and the T.P.A. He was an active worker in the church and for many years taught a class in the Sunday school. He was twice married.

His first wife was Louise Stemper of Auburn, Ill. She died years ago. His second wife was Mrs. Alice Bush_ay of Decatur. They were married April 15, 1918. She and the following children by his first wife survive him: Miss Louis Kelly, who is an actress in New York City; William D. Kelly of Chicago, and Mrs. Mariam D. Logan of Hollywood, Cal., who is the mother of Jacquelin Logan, film star.

Mr. Kelly was widely known and had many friends throughout central Illinois. The body was removed to the Dawson & Wikoff undertaking establishment for burial and to await word from his children.

Decatur Review, 21 Dec 1925

  KELM, Willie May

Willie May, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Kelm, died of membraneous croup at 9:30 a.m., Suncay, Nov. 15, at the family residence on East Condit street, aged 1 year and 8 months. The funeral was held Monday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock from the residence.

Daily Republican (Decatur), 16 Nov 1896

  KEMP, Etta (Hawkyard)

Mrs. Charles F. Kemp, well known resident of Kenney and Dewitt county, died at her home in that village Thursday afternoon after an illness of more than two years.

Etta Hawkyard was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. F.L. Hawkyard and was born July 7, 1881, in Macon county. On Sept. 20, 1899, she was married to Charles F. Kemp, tow children being born to their union, Franklin, now aged 16, and Donald, aged 10.

Funeral services will be held at 10 o'clock Saturday morning from the First Christian church in that village, Rev. William Isenogle officiating. Burial will be made in the Pleasant Valley cemetery, west of Kenney.

Decatur Review, 27 Jan 1922

  KEMP, John L.

The funeral of John L. Kemp will be conducted Monday afternoon in the Brintlinger & Sons chapel. Burial will be in Wheeler Cemetery.

Decatur Review, Decatur, IL, 18 May 1919

  KEMP, Mary

Mrs. Mary Kemp died in the home of her daughter, Mrs. John J. Parlier in Villa Park, Ill. Sunday, following a lingering illness.

She was born in Harrisburg, Pa., in 1856, and came to Illinois when she was a child. She was well known in and around Decatur. She leaves two sons; Charles Kemp, Casner, and Roy R. Kemp, East Grand Forks, Minn. Six daughters survive her; Mrs. Edward Swinehart, Argenta, Mrs. S.E. Braden, Decatur, Mrs. John J. Parlier, Villa Grove, Mrs. A.E. Howell, Grand Forks, N.D., Mrs. B.H. Rainey, Terry, Mont., and Mrs. E.E. Larrabee, Normal.

The body was taken to Clinton where services were held in Pullen's chapel Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock. Rev. Mr. Hickman, pastor of the Church of the Brethren, officiated.

Decatur Herald, 17 Oct 1928

  KEMPER, Levi   

Levi Kemper died at 3 o’clock Thursday afternoon at the family residence, 1237 North Calhoun street. He would have been eighty years old in January. His death was due to the infirmities of age.

Mr. Kemper was born in Peoria, Jan. 9, 1842. His early life was devoted to farming. He retired eight years ago and moved to Decatur and this has been his home ever since. He and Mrs. Sarah Smith were married three years ago. He was a veteran of the Civil war and a member of the G.A.R. Beside his wife he is survived by the following children: Emma Patton of St. Louis, Sarah Patton, Ruth Dodson, Henry Kemper and Robert Kemper, all of Alton; Mrs. Lucy Adney of St. Louis, and Miss Hattie Kemper of New York. The body was removed to the Moran & Sons undertaking establishment and prepared for burial.

Decatur Review, Decatur IL, 9 Dec 1921

NOTE: A description of the funeral was published in the Decatur Review, Decatur Illinois, 11 Dec 1921.

  KEMPSHALL, John   

John Kempshall, a resident of Maroa since 1870, died at his home here at 9:15 Wednesday morning. The funeral will be held at the Christian church at 2 o’clock Friday afternoon, with burial in the Maroa cemetery.

Mr. Kempshall was born in England, Oct. 16, 1844. Ten years later he came with his parents to America, and settled in Connecticut. In 1859 he went to Knoxville, Tenn., and in 1862 joined the confederate army. Soon afterward he was taken prisoner and until 1865 was a prisoner at Camp Douglas, Chicago.

During the war his people moved to Clinton, Ill., and in 1866 he came to Clinton. On June 5, 1870 he married Miss Ruberta Ball, who with three daughters and a son survive. The children are Mrs. Aggie Kirckhoff, Minnie Kempshall, William Lee Kempshall and Mrs. Bernice Grady, all of Maroa. There also are three brothers and one sister. Mr. Kempshall was a shoemaker until his retirement a few years ago.

Barred from membership in the G.A.R. by the fact that he was a Confederate soldier during the war, Mr. Kempshall nevertheless participated in all affairs of a patriotic nature, and insisted upon carrying the flag. The flag is now floating at half mast here in his memory.

Decatur Review, Decatur IL, 17 Jan 1923

  KENDALL, Infant Son

The infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Kendall died at 4 o'clock Monday morning at the residence, 421 North Stone street. He was only a few hours old. The funeral was held at 3 o'clock Monday afternoon.

Decatur Review, 6 Dec 1910

  KENDALL, Katie (Fitzpatrick)

Mrs Robert Kendall of 1158 East Sangamon Street, died at 5:40 o'clock Friday afternoon at St. Mary's hospital. She was forty-seven years old, but had been in poor health for several months, but her condition did not become critical until about one week ago.

Mrs Kendall was born in Decatur July 1, 1881, and this had always been her home. She was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs Richard Fitzpatrick. she is survived by her husband and four children, Katherine, Mary, Robert and Donald Kendall, and her parents Mr. and Mrs Richard Fitzpatrick, and two brothers, Jack and William Fitzpatrick, all of Decatur. She was well known and had many friends. The body was taken to Moran & Sons funeral directors, and prepared for burial.

Decatur Review, 22 Sep 1928, pg. 8

  KENDALL, Robert

Funeral services for Robert Kendall, 58, of 1158 East Sangamon street, who died Sunday evening in St. Mary's hospital following a major operation, will be conducted at 1:30 p. m. Wednesday in the Moran & Sons funeral home, with burial in Graceland cemetery. Mr. Kendall became ill Saturday.

He was born in Old Stonington, Jan 5, 1880, moving to Decatur with his family when young. For the past 20 years Mr. Kendall had worked for the Wagner-Malleable Iron Co. as a steam engineer.

Mr. Kendall leaves two daughters, Mrs Delbert Baney, Decatur; and Mrs James Patterson, Decatur and two sons, Robert Kendall, Decatur and Donald Kendall, Decatur; one sister Mrs. Arthur Gannon, Rockwell City, Iowa; one brother, John Kendall, Argenta and six grandchildren.

Decatur Review, 31 Oct 1938, pg. 2

  KENT, Samuel

Samuel Kent, a brother of little colored Burt, died in Springfield on Wednesday, rather suddenly, of consumption. The remains were brought to this city and the funeral took place about four o'clock yesterday afternoon from the A.M.E. church. Rev. Holmes conducted the services which were quite well attended by the colored people of this city. The body was interred at Greenwood cemetery. Sam was eighteen years old at the time of his death.

Daily Review, Decatur, IL, 21 May 1886

  KEPLER, Andrew   

Our whole community will be pained to learn that Andrew Kepler died at 2:15 this afternoon. He had been in failing health for some months, having been attacked with hemorrhage of the lungs about a year ago, since which time he has gradually failed. Some months ago he went to Minnesota with the hope of bettering his condition, but he grew worse, and returned about three weeks ago; since his return he has only been able to visit his store two or three times.

The deceased was born in Wurtemberg, Germany in 1944 and came to this county with his parents when a small boy. In 1862, though a mere boy, he enlisted in the army, and served until the end of the war in Co. F, 115th Illinois Vol. After his return he went into business in the cigar and tobacco line, and by strict attention succeeded in building up a large and profitable trade. Mr. Kepler was a member of Celestial Lodge No. 186, I.O.O.F. and also a member of the Macon county veterans association. He leaves a wife and four children to mourn his death.

In all relations of life Mr. Kepler was a man to be respected and loved. He was a loving and tender husband and father, a dutiful son, a patriotic and upright citizen, and a good man in every way. His death is a loss to the community.

The funeral will take place from the Universalist Church, on Sunday, Oct. 5th, at 12 p.m., Rev. D.P. Bunn officiating.

Decatur Daily Republican, Decatur IL, 3 Oct 1879

  KEPLER, Enos

DIED, in this city, at his late residence, on South Broadway Tuesday, March 29, 1881, Enos Kepler, Sr., in the 74th year of his age. The deceased had been seriously ill for the past four months with dropsy and his relatives and friends have been in constant attendance at his bedside since he became dangerous. He was born in Germany on Feb. 10, 1808, and came to Decatur in 1854, and has continued to reside in this city, where he had many acquaintances. He was the father of Enos Kepler and of the late Andrew Kepler.

The funeral will take place from St. James Catholic Church to-morrow afternoon at two o'clock.

The Daily Republican, (Decatur), 29 Mar 1881

  KERR, William W.   

We are called upon today to chronicle the death of one of our best known and most highly-esteemed citizens, Captain William W. Kerr, which occurred last evening, May 11, 1882, at the family residence on the southwest corner of South Main and Washington Sts. The deceased had been confined to his room since last fall, and bore up under his affliction, a disease which he contracted while incarcerated for two months in Libby prison, with Christian fortitude, passing away easily and peacefully, surrounded by his family and near relatives, who have ministered unto him tenderly during his long illness.

The deceased was born in 1835, in Florence, Washington county, Pa., and was therefore in the 47th year of his age. He became a salesman in V Barber’s store in 1858, with whom during subsequent years he was associated in business. When the war broke out Mr. Kerr enlisted as a soldier in the 85th regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and was commissioned Captain of Company A of that regiment. He served his county gallantly until taken prisoner, when he was thrown into Libby prison at Richmond, Va. While in this foul den the deceased was greatly reduced in flesh, and like many other Union prisoners, contracted a disease from which he never recovered. After his release he returned to Decatur, and has since resided here. During the past ten years, Captain Kerr has held the responsible position of corresponding secretary and head book-keeper in the check rower manufacturing firm of Haworth & Sons, from which he was compelled to retire last summer on account of failing health. He was careful and correct business man, and in all his dealings with his fellow men he displayed that integrity and honesty of purpose that ennobles and elevates man in the estimation of his associates and friends. Socially, Mr. Kerr was genial and courteous, his relations with his acquaintances being of the pleasantest character. He was an honored member of Decatur Lodge, Independent Order Mutual. And also an active member of the Macon County Veteran Association.

The deceased leaves a widow and one child, and a number of relatives in this and other cities who have the sympathy of our people in their sad bereavement.

The funeral will take place from the Presbyterian church on Sunday afternoon. The funeral will be conducted by Rev. W.H. Prestley.

Decatur Weekly Republican, Decatur IL, 18 May 1882

  KESSLER, Daniel B.
    Born: Mar 20, 1825 in Morgan Co, IL
    Died: 24 Mar 1889 in Sangamon Co, IL
    Buried: Auburn Cem., Sangamon Co, IL
    Parents: Daniel & Catherine (Black) Kessler
    Married: Aug 09, 1850 in Macon Co. to Sarah Jane Stuart
    Children: Mary, Laura, William, Arminda, Charlotte, Nancy, Julia, Margaret, Lenora & Sarah

  KESSLER, Sarah J. (Stuart)
    Born: Sep 02, 1828 in Wythe Co, VA
    Died: Jun 26, 1906 in Sangamon Co, IL
    Buried: Auburn Cem., Sangamon Co, IL
    Parents: Robert & Catharine (Florey) Stuart
    Married: Aug 09, 1850 in Macon Co. to Daniel B. Kessler
    Children: Mary, Laura, William, Arminda, Charlotte, Nancy, Julia, Margaret, Lenora & Sarah

  KEYES, Gershom

Gershom Keyes died at his home in Springfield on Sunday evening at the age of eighty-three years. The deceased was the father of James and George Keyes, who have a grocery store on East Eldorado street. He was one of the oldest settlers of Sangamon county, to which he moved in 1830 from his native state, Virginia. He was born in Monroe county, that state, on February 16, 1804. His first wife, Amanda Nichols, and child died and in 1836 he married Mathilda Matheny, a sister of Judge Matheny. She died in 1840 leaving two small children and three years later he was married to Priscilla Morris, who now survives him. Of this union ten children were born, eight of whom, with the two borne him by his second wife are still living. They are Dow in Pana, Humphrey in Iowa, James and George in Decatur, Mrs. Ray in Waukesha, Wisconsin, Mrs. Pass West in Assumption, Robert Caden, Arnold, Noah and Roberta in Springfield. The funeral of the deceased will take place to-day from the First Methodist church in Sprignfield.

Daily Review, Decatur, IL, 25 Apr 1886

  KIEFLING, Rosetta

Rosetta, the infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Kiefling, died at the family residence, 306 East First street at an early hour Friday morning as a result of the whooping cough. The funeral will be held Saturday afternoon. Burial was at Linwood cemetery.

Decatur Review, 21 Jun 1913

  KILE, Ada R. (Bowman)
    Born: 10 Mar 1870 near Argenta, Macon Co.
    Died: 1 Oct 1933 in Decatur, Macon Co.
    Parents: Edward M. and Mary (Stuart) Kile
    Married: 16 Apr 1908 in Macon Co, IL to William M. Bowman
    Children: Mrs. Frances Kush, Decatur

  KILE, Arthur M.
    Born: Nov 07, 1874 in Macon Co, IL
    Died: 12 Nov 1939 in Gonzales Co, TX
    Parents: Edward M. & Mary (Stuart) Kile
    Married: Evalyn P. (unknown)

  KILE, Edward Milton   

Passes Away After Being in Ill Health for Eighteen Months.

After an illness of eighteen months, Edward M. Kile succumbed to a complication of diseases at 10:50 o'clock Sunday morninhg at the family residence, 1124 North Church street. Until ten days ago Mr. Kile was able to be up and around.

Edward Kile was born Dec. 3, 1842, in Shelby county, Illinois. On Feb. 13, 1867, he married Miss Mary Stuart of Macon County, who with five children survives him. They are Mrs. E. L. Augustus of Urbana, Mrs. W. M. Bowman of Argenta, Dr. A. M. Kile of Hopedale and Sadie and Ethan Kile of Decatur.

Mr. Kile fought in the Civil war. He was a member of Company E. 116th Illinois Volunteers and served three years, being mustered out of service at Washington, D. C. He was a member of Dunham Post No. 141, G. A. R.

After the war Mr. Kile returned to Illinois and engaged in farming near Argenta. Seven years ago he retired and moved with his family to Decatur, where he had resided since.

He had been a member of the Methodist church for more than 30 years and served several years in the capacity of superintendent of the Sunday school department. During his residence in Decatur he was a member of the First Methodist church.

The funeral arrangement have not yet been definitely announced though it will be sometime Wednesday.

Decatur Daily Herald Monday, May 11, 1908, Page 8

Contributed by: Sandra Wagner

Edward M. Kile, an old resident of Macon county, died at 10:50 Sunday morning at the family residence, 1124 North Church street. His death was caused by a complication of diseases after an illness of eighteen months. Though he had been in poor health for so long, he had been confined to his home for only the last ten days.

He was born Dec. 3, 1842, in Shelby county, Illinois. He married Miss Mary Stuart of Macon county on Feb. 13, 1867, and she with the following five children survive him: Mrs. E.L. Augustus of Urbana, Mrs. W. M. Bowman of Argenta, Dr. A.M. Kile of Hopedale and Miss Sadie Kile and Ethan Kile, both of Decatur.

Mr. Kile was a veteran of the Civil war. He was a member of Company E, 116th Illinois volunteers. After serving three years he was mustered out of the service at Washington, D.C. He was a member of Dunham post, 141, G.A.R. After the war he returned to Illinois and engaged in farming near Argenta. He retired seven years ago and moved with his family to Decatur, where they have since resided.

He was a member of the First Methodist church here, and belonged to that denomination before coming here, having joined over thirty years ago. He was a Sunday school superintendent for a number of years.

Though Mr. Kile’s sufferings were intense during the last days of his illness, he bore them patiently and cheerfully.

A short funeral service will be held at the residence Wednesday morning at 8:30 o’clock and the body will be taken on the 10 o’clock train to Friends Creek cemetery near Argenta, where the funeral sermon will be preached and the burial take place. Dunham Post, No. 141, G.A.R. will assist in the service.

The Daily Review, Decatur IL, 11 May 1908

A description of the funeral and a picture of Mr. Kile was published in The Daily Review, Decatur Illinois, 13 May 1908.

    Buried: Friends Creek Cem., Macon Co, IL
    Parents: Josiah W. & Mary (Clark) Kile
    Children: Atta, Ada, Sarah, Arthur, & Ethan

  KILE, Ethan E.
    Born: Oct 20, 1883 in Macon Co, IL
    Died: 24 May 1939 in Robinson, Crawford Co, IL
    Parents: Edward & Mary (Stuart) Kile
    Married: Dec 23, 1916 in Macon Co, IL to Marguerite B. Kuny

  KILE, Mary (Stuart)

Mrs. Mary Kile, widow of Edward M. Kile, long a resident of Decatur, died at her residence, 1424 North Church street at 8:40 Saturday morning (May 17, 1919), aged 78 years, six months. She has been a sufferer for many years of stomach and liver trouble.

Mrs. Kile's maiden name was Mary Stuart, (born Nov 18, 1840) a sister of the late Oliver L. and John T. Stuart. She married Edward M. Kile, Feb. 13, 1867. She was a member of the Methodist church for sixty years and of the First Methodist church in Decatur during her residence in Decatur. She was a patient sufferer, and could not do enough for her children.

She leaves five children, Mrs. Atta Augustus of Cisco, Ill., Mrs Ada Bowman of Dunbar, Wis.; Sadie Kile at home; Dr. A.M. Kile of Ottawa, and Ethan E. Kile of Decatur.

She also leaves six grand children, Ralph and Lalah Augustus; Mary, Paul and John Kile; and Frances Bowman.

Funeral arrangements will be announced later.

Decatur Review, 17 May 1919, p. 8

  KILE, Maxine


Miss Maxine Kile, 17, Victim Of Pneumonia

Sick Less Than One Week

Had Lived In Decatur For Past Three Years

Miss Maxine Kile of 1376 North Main street died at 6:30 Saturday evening at Decatur and Macon county hospital. She was seventeen years old in October. Her death was caused by pneumonia. She was taken ill last Monday and was removed to the hospital that day.

Miss Kile was a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W.H. Kile, 1376 North Main street. She was born in Argenta, but had lived in Decatur for the past three years. She was in the senior class at Decatur high school. She was a member of the Second Presbyterian church and had many friends here and in Argenta.

Besides her parents she is survived by three sisters and a brother, Miss Sybil Kile who is a nurse at Camp Grant, Rockford; Miss Gladys Kile, Miss Wilma Kile, and Ira Kile, all of Decatur. The body was removed to Monson & Wilcox undertaking establishment and prepared for burial. No arrangements have been made for the funeral.

Decatur Review, 17 November 1918

The funeral of Maxine Kile will be held at 11 o'clock Tuesday morning in the Presbyterian church at Argenta. The interment will be in the Friends Creek cemetery.

Decatur Review, 18 November 1918

  KILE, Mrs.

Mrs. Kile, of Friends Creek township, widow of Josiah Kile, died at the home of her son, on Friday, March 11, 1886. She was upwards of 70 years of age, and had been ill but a few days.

The Daily Review, Decatur, IL, 14 Mar 1886

  KIMBER, E.J., Mrs.

Mrs. E.J. Kimber died yesterday forenoon at eleven o'clock at the residence of her son, G.A. Kimber, on East Washington street. The deceased was seventy-two years of age, and for some months has been suffering with a bronchial affection. Her husband Rev. I.C. Kimber has been dead for several years. Her children now living are G.A. Kimber, of this city, W.F. Kimber, of Springfield, and Mrs. William Bell, of Quincy.

The remains will be taken to Springfield for interment to-morrow morning on the seven o'clock train. Rev. J.P. Dimmitt, an old friend of the family, and formerly pastor of the First Methodist church, will conduct the services.

The Daily Review, Decatur, IL, 21 Feb 1886

  KINCAID, Hiram   

Hiram Kincaid died of flux at 5:20 a.m. Sunday, August 22, at his home, five miles south west of the city, aged 65 years. The deceased was a veteran of the late war. The funeral was held at 11 o’clock this morning from the Salem church, Rev. Keener officiating. Members of the Dunham Post No. 141 G.A.R., had charge of eh burial and buried the remains with military honors. Among the members of the post who attended the funeral were Commander W.F. Calhoun, R.T. Williams, John Armstrong, Henry Briggs, Martin Davis, T.L. Evans, Nathan Gruver, D.B. Landis, R.P. Lytle, R.J. Roberts, James F. Steele, Joseph L. Perry, R. H. Johnson and Daniel Moore. Deceased was a member of the 98th Ohio Volunteer Infantry.

Daily Republican, Decatur IL, 23 Aug 1897

  KING, Alfred   

Alfred King died at 8:20 o’clock Thursday morning at his home, 1152 East Wood street. Alfred King was one of the best known colored men in town. He had lived in Decatur almost twenty years, having come here in 1864. He was one of the leaders of his people.

Mr. King was born in the south sixty-two years ago. He joined the navy on the Union side in 1862. He served on the Prairie Bird through the rest of the war.

After the war, in 1865, he went to Cairo and there married Jane Bostic. He and his wife had fifteen children, of whom five are now living.

In 1884, he came to Decatur, where he has lived ever since. He was a carpenter and worked at his trade a long time. Lately he has been fireman and janitor of the Haworth block.

He was a member of the G.A.R. and was one of the officers of the guard for four or five years. The G.A.R. will take charge of his funeral.

Mr. King was a prominent member of the A.M.E. church with which he united shortly after coming to Decatur. He was a trustee, and class leader. He leaves his wife and five children, Clara, Sarah , Alice, Myrtle and Moses King.

The funeral will be held at 2 o’clock Saturday afternoon from the A.M. E. church, Rev. A. T. Jackson will conduct the services and preach a sermon. The burial will be held at Greenwood.

The Daily Review, Decatur IL, 3 Dec 1903

  KING, Frances

Mrs. Frances King, wife of Thomas King, died yesterday morning about seven o'clock, at the family residence, on East Eldorado street, of a complication of diseases. The deceased has been in poor health for a number of years past, and at the time of her death was forty-three years of age. A husband survives her. She was a member of the Daughters of Rebecca. The funeral will take place at two o'clock this afternoon from Stapp's chapel, Rev. George Stevens officiatong.

Daily Review, Decatur, IL, 5 May 1886

  KING, Joseph, Dr.

Funeral of the Late Dr. Joseph King - A Veteran Mason

The impressive services attending the funeral of the late Dr. Joseph King, who was born in Virginia December 9, 1808, and died in Decatur September 7, in the 87th year of his age, were held last evening at the home of his eldest son, John E. King, on North Main street, in the presence of a large number of friends, many of whom were among the oldest residents of the city - men and women who had known the deceased when he was ayojngman and one of the active physicians of this part of the state. He was the last of the charter members of the old Macon Lodge of Masons No. 8 to pass away, and the Masons attended the funeral in a body, conducting the beautiful ceremonies of the order at the grave in Greenwood cemetery.

At the house Dr. E.W. Moore conducted the service, first reading a part of the 15th chapter of First Corinthians and offering prayer. Dr. Moore's remarks dealt largely with death and the long life of the deceased. He said in part: "As a general thing we take too gloomy a view of death. There are many conditions in life that are more to be dreaded, especially when it comes to the eath of an octogenarian, who, like a ripe shock of corn, is ready to be garnered. Death is but the vestibule of life, and Dr. King had nothing to regret, when we did but begin to live. It is natural to die. The body perishes, but the spirit is immortal and never dies, and it rises to a higher and more beautiful life. Dr. King graduated in medicine at Cincinnati, and located in Decatur in 1838. He practiced medicine acrively in this community until 1861. That he had the confidence of the people and was a public-spirited citizen is shown by the fact that for a number of years previous to 1852 he was a member of the Decatur board of trustees. In 1840 he was the president of the board. He was kind and cordial to the young men in the medical profession. He gave all newcomers a welcome and gave them encouragement. he was always generous hearted and never failed to lend a helping hand. He was a hard-working physician. In cold and heat he was quick to respond to the calls to go any distance to relieve the sick and suffering. He rode or drove scores of miles and did more than his duty. Dr. King lived through a remarkable time of development in this country. He was in Decatur when the country west of the Ohio river was but an undeveloped wilderness. He came here before there were any steamners on the rivers and he lived to see our country populated from the lakes to the gulf and from the Atlantic to the Pacific. Great events of national importance occurred during his lifetime. He was a gentle, kind-hearted man all his life - kind to everybody, and every arrival found in him a friend. Dr. Moore had visited the deceased a short time before his death and had talked with him. Dr. King said: "Doctor, I am glad to see you. I know I am dying but I have no pain." He was not afraid of death and when the summons came at last he quietly fell asleep.

The selections by the choir, C.W. Montgomery, R.W. Chilson, W.L. Shellabarger and Sherman mcClelland, were "Lead, Kindly Light," and the chant, "Abide With Me."

The casket containing the remains was covered with many beautiful floral designs, one of which was a special peice from Macon Lodge of Masons, No. 8. The Masons took charge of the body with F.M. Cox, R.T. Roberts, N.L. Krone, Dr. Brandon, D.T. Sherman and James L. Peake as pallbearers. At Greenwood the Masonic burial ceremony was observed, lef by Eli F. Dawson and Rev. C.E. Torrey. It was beautiful and impressive, and at the last the benediction closed the service.

Decatur Daily Republican, Decatur, IL, 9 Sep 1893

  KING, Lyman   
Death of Lyman King

This morning our citizens were shocked to hear of the death of Lyman King, who has for a long time been the popular clerk at Priest’s Hotel. Mr. King had not been in good health for some time but was able to be about the hotel until Tuesday evening, when he went home to his residence with an attack of pneumonia. A hemorrhage from the lungs followed the attack, and growing worse rapidly, he died about one o’clock this morning. Mr. King came to Decatur about twenty years ago, and has resided here and in this city ever since. He leaves a widow, but no children.

The Daily Republican, Decatur IL, 26 Dec 1872, pg. 6

  KINGSTON, Ida May (Cooper)


Suffered Stroke of Apoplexy Tuesday Noon

The death of Mrs. Ida Kingston, wife of Ellis Kingston, which occurred at six o'clock Tuesday (17 Aug) evening in her home, 996 West Packard street, was a shock to her relatives and friends. Mrs. Kingston had seemed to be in the best of health, but suffered at stroke of apoplexy at noon Tuesday.

She was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James Cooper, both deceased and was born in Friends Creek township June 1, 1868. She lived most of her life near Weldon, moving to Decatur about nine years ago. She was a member of the First Baptist church. Besides her husband, she leaves one daughter, Mrs. Irene Hyatt of Decatur.

The body was taken to Brintlinger and Sons, undertakers, to be prepared for burial. Funeral arrangements have not been announced.

Decatur Review, 18 Aug 1920

  KINNEY, Arthur E.

Cut Down In His Youth, a Victim of Overwork and Mental Worry

The death of Arthur E. Kinney occurred Saturday evening at 5:25 o'clock at 433 St. John's Place, the home of Mrs. Horace Morgan. He passed away peacefully, attended by his wife and members of the family who had lovingly and tearfully ministered to his comfort during the long days and nights of his painful illness. The sickness of Mr. Kinney had caused general solicitude in the city, and for weeks before he passed away citizens generally anxiously inquired about his condition. To-day their hearts are filled with sadness as they realize that the energetic and genial young man whom they had known and admired for his upright life and enterprise is no more. He was cut down in his youth, just when life was opening up before him full of promise and while he was beginning to reap the reward of his work in building and extending the usefulness of the Citizens' Street Railway enterprise, of which he was the superintendant, secretary and treasurer. In the development of the line he devoted his undivided attention, personally planning and arranging for the success of the undertaking. He was up early and late in looking after the business, and the strain upon him mentally and physically was more than he could stand, and sickness and death was the inevitable result. He began to complain of pains in the head and arm in September, and had he realized the serious nature of his temporary illness, probably a month's rest from worry and work would have averted his prostration, but his early affliction came at a time when the street car track was torn up for the street paving enterprise, and feeling that his personal supervision was necessary, he doubtless thought that he might get well with ordinary care. He was mistaken. He broke down with mental worry, and his life is the forfeit. All Decatur mourns his death to-day, and offers sympathy to the bereaved young widow, parents and fatherless children.

Arthur Kinney was a man of rare business talents. In his boyhood he was taught to be industrious and provident, and had he lived to utilize his experience and training he would have amassed a competency before many years, while he would have contributed largely to the development of the business interests of Decatur. The city has suffered a loss in his untimely death, and the street car company a most efficient superintendent. To the indomitable spirit of the deceased Decatur is indebted to-day for the present street car line, in which D.S. Shellabarger and W.L. Ferguson are interested, and it was through the efforts of Mr. Kinney that our city has Oakland Park, one of our home summer resorts. The building of the street car line has enhanced the value of property west of the city and has given our people a cheap means of transit that is the pride of the city.

Sunday morning a post mortem examination of the body was held by Dr. W.J. Chenoweth, assisted by Dr. Ira N. Barnes and Dr. S.J. Bunstead, in the presence of A.S. Morgan and Undertaker Bullard. They found the brain in a congested state, and the tissues of the bowels slightly inflamed. The surgeons authorize the statement that Mr. Kinney died of typho-mania, which it is believed was induced by mental and bodily fatigue occasioned by his business the past few months. Dr. Prince, of Jacksonville, was called here two weeks ago to consult with Dr. Chenoweth. The Doctor made an incision in the left arm of the deceased, believing that he was afflicted with enlargement of the bone. The arm had pained Mr. Kinney at intervals since he was a lad of six years. The operation was not satisfactory and nothing came of it.

The deceased was the only son of Mr. and Mrs. John E. Kinney, and was in the 34th year of his age. He was born at Lumberville, Bucks county, Pennsylvania, Mary 30th, 1853, where his father was then engaged in teaching school. Later the family returned to Baure, Vermont, and in 1858 they moved to Evanston, Ill., and in 1860 they came to Decatur, where they have since resided. Arthur obtained a useful education in the public schools of the city, became a member of the First M.E. church and in his youth was an active and useful worker in the Sabbath school, serving many years as librarian or secretary. In 1874 he was united in marriage to Carrie R. Hubbard, daughter of W.E. Hubbard. She died in August 1879, leaving three small children. The daughter, Carrie Lucille, followed her mother to the grave six months after her death. The two boys survive. They are Lewis Noyes Kinney, aged 11 years, and John W. Kinney, aged 7 years. At Rochester, N.Y., on Sept. 25. 1883, the deceased was married to Miss Alma Morgan, daughter of Mrs. Horace Morgan, and sister of Horace, Walter, Albert and George Morgan. She has been a devoted wife to her afflicted husband, and has been faithful in her attendance at his bedside during his fatal illness. The members of the Kinney, Morgan and Hubbard families, together with the more intimate friends of the deceased, have also been decoted in their attention to him and have left nothing undone that love or money could command to give him relief - all without avail. His malady baffled the skill of the medical fraternity, and death relieved him of his sufferings.

The funeral of the deceased is in progress this afternoon from Stapp's Chapel. The services are being conducted by Rev. Stevens, assisted by Rev. Coultas.

Decatur Daily Republican, 22 Nov 1886

  KINNEY, Carrie (Hubbard)

Died - At 1 o'clock this morning (Tuesday, August 5th, 1879), at the residence of Mr. Arthur E. Kinney, his wife, Mrs. Carrie Kinney, of paralysis, in the morning of her life and in the bright fullness and promise of her youth. Died at the roses, of which she was so fond, wither and die, after having budded, blossomed and opened their beauty and fragrance. Fell as the leaves of the roses fall, and are seen no more forever, and she left many sore hearts behind, to which dear memories of her will cling, all loving and green like tendrils of the ivy to the impassive rock, and will not loose their hold while the rock lasts or while the heart remembers to beat, and garners its treasures. Died, calmly and peacefully, surrounded by her loving husband and relatives and sympathizing friends, who some time will go as she did to penetrate the gloom and mystery of the great beyond.

The deceased was the only daughter of Mr. Wm. E. Hubbard, and while yet a girl united with the First M.E. Church, and has always been a devout Christian. She was a member of the High School Alumni Association, being a graduate of the class of '69. In January, 1874, she became the wife of her now sorrow stricken husband, and three children are the fruits of the happy marriage - two boys and one girl, the eldest four years and six months old, and the babe just two weeks old last night. The deceased was in her 27th year, was of a happy disposition and had friends without number. She loved her husband and children as herself, and had a kind word for everybody, particularly the poor and needy. The home that was one of the happiest in the city is now quiet and gloomy, and all is seemingly dark to the young husband whose loving companion and helpmate has been so suddenly and unexpectedly taken from him. In his present great bereavement he and his sorrowing relatives have the deepest sympathy of this community.

The funeral of the late Mrs. Carrie Kinney will take place from the family residence, on East Eldorado street, at 4 o'clock Wednesday afternoon, Rev. Dr. Goodwin officiating.

Decatur Daily Republican, 5 Aug 1879

  KINNEY, Carrie L.

The funeral of Carrie Lucille, daughter of Arthur E. Kinney, took place from the family residence on East Eldorado street, this afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. Doctor Goodwin officiating. There was a very large attendance of relatives and sympathizing friends, and the floral offerings were beautiful. Obituary to-morrow.

Decatur Daily Republican, 12 Jan 1880

  KINNEY, Nellie Mae (Lyons)

Mrs Nellie Mae Kinney, wife of Samuel W Kinney, of route 5, died Sunday afternoon at the Decatur and Macon County Hospital. She was thirty-six years old last January. Her death was caused by a complication of diseases and followed an illness of two weeks. Mrs McKinney was born in Assumption Jan 10, 1891. The family moved to Decatur sixteen years ago. She was a member of the Christian Church. Besides her husband she is survived by two children, Harold and Howard Kinney. She also leaves a sister and brother, Gladys Lyons of Assumption and Clarence Lyons of Decatur. She also leaves her mother, Mrs Anna Turner. The body was taken to Moran and Sons and prepared for burial, and the funeral was held there at 4 o'clock Monday afternoon.

Decatur Review(Decatur, Illinois), on 4 July 1927

  KIRBY, Jessie E.

The body of Mrs. Jessie E. Kirby who died Monday in her residence in Riverside, near Chicago, will arrive in Decatur at 6:45 o'clock Wednesday evening and will be taken to the Monson's funeral home.

Funeral services will be at 2 o'clock Thursday afternoon in the Union church near Oreana, with Rev. E.W. Clippinter in charge. Burial will be in Union cemetery. The funeral party will leave the Monson funeral home at 2:10 o'clock Thursday afternoon.

Mrs. Kirby leaves her three children: Harry R. Kirby of Decatur, Wayne I. Kirby of Riberside, and Mrs. Anna Maze also of Riverside.

Decatur Herald, 16 Oct 1929

KIRBY, Mrs. Jessie E.; 3 o'clock Thursday. Union church near Oreana, Rev. E.W. Clippinger in charge. Burial in Union cemetery. The funeral party will leave the Monson Funeral home at 2:10 o'clock Thursday morning.

Decatur Herald, 16 Oct 1929

  KISH, William W.   

William W. Kish died at 4:30 Monday morning at his room, 148 North Franklin street. He had been sick for a week with heart disease. He was sixty-five years old and was a painter. He had lived in Decatur for many years. He is survived by his wife, Minnie Kish, who was in Indianapolis at the time of his death. He also leaves a son, and a daughter who is in Mexico, and two brothers, Charles and John Kish, and a sister, Mrs. Lou Brown. The body was removed to Moran’s undertaking establishment and prepared for burial.

The Daily Review, Decatur IL, 19 Feb 1912

A similar articles published on 20 Feb 1912 said that the funeral was held at 10:00 o’clock Wednesday morning at Moran’s chapel. Interment was in Greenwood.

  KITCH, Solomon   

Solomon Kitch died at 1:55 Monday afternoon at the residence, 261 East Condit street, after a brief illness. Death was caused by apoplexy. Mr. Kitch was stricken early Saturday morning while shoveling snow from the sidewalk in front of his home. He had worked fast, beginning at 5 o’clock. It was 5:10 when he was found. He was picked up by Officer Welty and some street car men who were passing at the time. Mr. Kitch regained consciousness, and was able to converse with those around him but it was known that he would not survive long.

He had been a resident of Decatur for the last twenty years. He settled in the state of Illinois at Niantic in 1857. He was born in Lancaster county, Pa., Oct 1, 1830. He leaves his wife and the following daughters and son, Mrs Laura A. Griswold and Mrs. Mary Martin, both of Decatur, and B.S. Kitch, also of Decatur.

He was a member of the 116th Illinois volunteer infantry, company E, and served over three years in the civil war. He was in the siege of Vicksburg and took part in all the battles of his regiment with the exception of one and that was on account of illness. He was struck by a bullet at the siege of Vicksburg but was saved from being seriously wounded by a testament which he carried in his pocket. He received a bruised side. He was a member of Dunham post G.A.R. for thirty years.

The body was removed to the parlors of Monson & Wilcox and will remain there until time for the funeral. The funeral will be held at 2 o’clock Wednesday afternoon at the Monson & Wilcox chapel. It will be in charge of the G.A.R. Dunham post will meet at 1 o’clock sharp to attend the funeral in a body.

The Daily Review, Decatur IL, 3 Mar 1913

A description of the funeral was published in The Daily Review, Decatur IL, 6 Mar 1913.

  KNIPLE, Anna Marie (Wheeler)
    Born: 25 March 1876
    Died: 2:30 a.m. Sunday morning, 16 October 1927 in Decatur, Macon Co., IL, 448 N. Church St.
    Buried: Mt. Gilead Cemetery, Macon Co., IL
    Parents: Larkin and Caroline Wheeler
    Married: 6 April 1904 Decatur, Macon Co., IL to Olan Kniple
    Member: First Methodist Church
    Survivors: Husband Olan; brother W.E. Wheeler; sisters Mrs. Minnie C. Bashford, Mrs. Margaret Clabaugh.


Levi Knisely, 89, residing in 2041 North Water street, died of heart trouble at 1 o'clock Friday morning in St. Mary's hospital.

Mr. Knisely had been a Macon county resident since 1872 and had lived in Decatur since 1885. He was born in Cumberland county, Pennsylvania, April 17, 1848. He was a carpenter and cabinet maker.

He leaves one son, Arma Knisely, Decatur, a brother, William Knisely, of Perth, Kan., and two sisters, Mrs. Jonathan Angney, Lawrence, Kan., and Mrs. Emma Ziegler of San Diego, Cal.

Funeral services will be held at 1:30 o'clock Sunday afternoon in the Brintlinger & Sons chapel. Burial will be in the Cross cemetery.

Decatur Herald, Friday, 31 Mar 1931

  KNISELY, Nancy J. (Hiser)

Mrs. Nancy J. Knisely Expires

Mrs. Nancy J. Knisely, wife of Levi Knisely, died at 3:30 o'clock Sunday morning at the family residence, 2041 North Water street. She was sixty-four years old last month. Her death was caused by a complication of diseases. She had been in failing health for the past four years.

Mrs. Knisely was well known, especially in the vicinity of Oakley, where she was born, Aug. 17, 1854. She had lived in Macon county all her life. Her parents were Mr. and Mrs. John Hiser of Oakley, who were well known among the old residents of the county.

Mrs. Knisely was a emmber of the Fairview church near Oakley and had many friends in that neighborhood. She and Levi Knisely were married Dec. 12, 1876 in Wichita, Kan. She is survived by her husband and one son, Arna Knisely of Decatur. She also leaves six brothers; Jacob, George, William, Albert, Harvey and Sylvester Hiser all of Oakley, and two sisters; Mrs. D.A. Seitz of Oakley and Mrs. Frank Walters of Decatur.

The funeral will be held at 11 o'clock Tuesday morning at the Fairview church. The interment will be in the Cross cemetery. The body was removed to the Brintlinger & Sons undertaking establishment and prepared for burial, and friends may call there until time for the funeral.

The Daily Review, Decatur, IL, Monday, 2 Sep 1918

  KOEHLER, Raymond E.

The funeral of Raymond E. Koehler, infant son od Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Koehler, was held at 2:30 Friday afternoon from the family residence, 1415 East Leafland avenue. There was a large attendance of friends of the family. The services were conducted by Rev. J.D. Roth. The interment was at Greenwood.

The Daily Review, Decatur, IL, 4 Oct 1907

  KOONTZ, John

John Koontz, three and one-half miles northeast of Decatur, died early this morning. He was 85 years of age. The body will be brought to Moran's undertaking establishment and the funeral will be held from there on Saturday.

Mr. Koontz leaves seven children, Mrs. Winnie Gray, Mrs. Katie McCormick, Don, Grant, and Charles Koontz, Mrs. Blanch Hummel of Peoria and Miss Ida Koontz of Argo.

The Daily Review, Decatur, IL, 9 Dec 1909

The funeral of John Koontz will be held from the residence of his daughter, Mrs. Oscar Gray, 363 South Webster street, at 2 o'clock Saturday afernoon. Rev. H.E. Shuey will conduct the service. Interment will be at the Mt. Gilead cemetery.

The Daily Review, Decatur, IL, 10 Dec 1909

  KORTUM, Infant


Undertaker is Astonished When Infant Comes to Life.


Heart Valves Had Not Worked Properly

The infant child of Mr. and Mrs. Walter H. Kortum died at 1:30 Wednesday morning at the family residence, 1070 St. Louis avenue. This is the baby that was pronounced dead by a physician Tuesday afternoon, but which came to life when placed on the cooling board.


The child was three weeks old. It weighed only four and a half pounds at birth and did not seem to gain anything in weight. The mother placed the child in bed about 2 o'clock Tuesday afternoon and when she went to it at 3 o'clock it appeared to be dead, having turned very dark in the face. A physician was called and he pronounced it dead.


As it had not been attended by a physician since birth, Coroner Elmer Brintlinger was notified and he set the inquest for 10 o'clock Wednesday morning. He merely looked at the child without touching it. It was black in the face and to all appearances had been dead some time. An undertaker was called and when he picked the baby up and laid it on the cooling board it squinted up its eyes and began to cry.


Another physician was hurriedly summoned and worked with the child but it died at 1:30 Wednesday morning. The physician was able to tell what was the matter with the child, so Coroner Brintlinger decided an inquest was not necessary. The physician said that the child's heart valves had not worked properly from birth, and this caused its death.

The body was taken to Harristown at 2:30 Wednesday afternoon for interment.

The Daily Review (Decatur), 21 Oct 1914

  KOSSIECK, Julia A.

Julia A. Kossieck, wife of F.W. Kossieck died at the residence of her sister, 161 South Webster street at 8:30 last night. Her death was the result of lung trouble by an attack of the grip two years ago. About 18 months ago, her husband took her to Colorado Springs in the hope that a change of climate would benefit her failing health but the relieft did not come and she returned to Decatur about two weeks ago. She leaves a husband and one child, three sisters and three brothers. They are Charles J., Michael M., and Nicholas Schaniel, Mrs. Susan Smith, Mrs. Emma Hise and Mrs. Katherine Reese. The funeral will be held Friday.

Daily Review (Decatur), 4 January 1894

  KRAHER, Charles

Undertaker Peter Perl goes to Blue Mound with his hearse this morning to attend the funeral of Charles Kraher, who died near that village on Monday.

The Daily Review, Decatur, IL, 11 Mar 1886

  KRAMER, Elias   

Died…..At his late residence, in this city, on the night of Sunday, July 1st, Mr. Elias Kramer, aged 38 years.

The Decatur Republican, Decatur IL, 5 July 1877, pg. 8

  KRONE, Lou (Tanner)

Mrs. E.B. Krone died early yesterday morning at the home of her mother, Mrs. Tanner, on North Main street. The deceased was twenty-two years old and was the only daughter of the late Elias Tanner. She was well known and among her many friends deep regret will be caused by her sad demise. She was married but a few months ago to E.B. Krone. The funeral will take place this afternoon at three o’clock from Stapp’s Chapel. Rev. George Stevens will conduct the services.

Daily Review, Decatur, IL, 18 Apr 1886

The funeral services over the remains of the late Mrs. Edward B. Krone were held on Sunday afternoon at Stapp’s Chapel and were conducted by Rev. George Stevens assisted by Rev. Robert Hiner, of Kentucky. The church was filled with relatives and friends of the deceased. The choir which furnished music appropriate to the solemn services was composed of Mrs. James P. Boyd, Miss Ruth Hammer and Messrs. Will Shellabarger and Sherman McClelland. There were many beautiful floral offerings on and about the casket. The pall bearers were Morgan English, Will Werner, Will Hubbard, Oscar Lyter and Rufus Braden. The remains were interred at Greenwood cemetery.

Daily Review, Decatur, IL, 20 Apr 1886

  KRONE, Nathan L.


Engaged as Pharmacist For Over 60 Years in This City

- Well Acquainted With Early History

Nathan L. Krone, veteran druggist and one of the oldest residents of Decatur, died at 11 o'clock Friday morning at the family residence, 2075 East William street. While Mr. Krone had been in failing health for a year or more he was not really ill until a few days ago when he contracted a severe cold. He was confined to his bed only two or three days.

Mr. Krone is survived by his wife and one son, Charles Krone, of Decatur, and three sisters, Mrs. D.S. Shellabarger, Mr. G.W. Bright, both of Decatur, and Mrs. A.S. McClurg, of St. Joe, Mo.


The funeral will probably be held Sunday afternoon at St. Paul's Methodist church, and will be under the auspieces of Beaumanoir commandery No. 9, Knights Templar. The interment will be in Greenwood.


Mr. Krone was prominent in Masonic circles. He was a member of Macon lodge No. 8, A.F. and A.M., Macon Chapter No. 21, Royal Arch Masons Decatur council No. 16, Royal and Select Masters, Decatur chapter No. 111, Order of the Eastern Star, and Beaumanoir commandery No.9, Knights Templar.

CAME IN 1839

With the death of Nathan L. Krone asses one of the last links connecting the early Decatur with the Decatur of today. Mr. Krone came to Decatur in 1839 when he was seven years old, and he lived here almost continuously since that time. He began clerking in the store of S.K. Thomspon when he was sixteen years old and was actively engaged in business until about two years ago when he retired.


He wathced Decatur grow from a straggling village to a city. He knew the drug business from the first drug store established here till the time of his death. He knew more about Decatur history than any other person, and his marvelous memory made a veritable encyclopedia of local history. He knew not only facts but dates - the year and often the month and day. But little more than a week ago he prepared for The Review a map of Decatur involving great detail and showing the location of every business house and every dwelling when the population numbered about 300. This map has never been published.

BORN IN 1832

Nathan L. Krone was the son of David Krone and Ruth Worley Krone. He was born in Lewisberry, York county, Pennsylvania, in 1832. The family came to Illinois by way of canal to Pittsburgh, thence by steamboat to Beardstown and thence by wagon to Decatur. They camped the first night in Decatur on the town branch near the new Prairie street subway. Because they were unable to find a vacant house in Decatur they moved into a cabin in Long Creek township near the present village of Casner.

They lived there until November and moved into Decatur, occupying a house that had just been built. This is now the second house west of Jackson street on the south side of William. Later they moved into a house on the site of the old Peddecord house on Franklin street. In the spring of 1850 they moved into the Macon house at the corner of East Prairie and Franklin, a hotel later known as the Revere house.


This hotel they conducted for a number of years, "Mother" Krone looking after the welfare of the guests, and David Krone, who was a cabinet maker, conducting a shop in the basement. Later, David Krone built a home on West William street, the house which is now the residence of George W. Bright, and here he lived with his family for many years. The residence is still known by many of the older citizens as the old Krone house.

There was a family of nine children at home. Mrs. George W. Bright and Mrs. D.S. Shellabarger are the only survivors. Others were Mrs. Henry Shepherd, Mrs. A.L. Steward of Oreana, Mrs. McClurg, who died at St. Joe, Missouri a little more than a year ago, and Charlotte Krone, who died unamarried.


N.L. Krone as a boy went to school as much as the opportunity permitted. Schools were supported by subscription, and the terms were short. One school which he attended was taught by a Miss Fordyce who came here from the east. The school was in a little house on East William street between Franklin and Jackson. Incidentally and of course quite accidentally Mr. Krone burned this school house through excessive zeal in firing up. He had been assigned to the duty of making the fire in the morning and piled on more wood than the chimney could stand. The school had to be finished in another building. Richard J. Oglesby was one of the pupils in this school and was the first boy acquaintance the Mr. Krone had in Decatur.


In 1848, when he was sixteen years old, Mr. Krone began clerking in the store of S.K. Thompson, going to school when there was any school. He was in this postition for two years. In 1850 he and a nephew of Thompson's went to Bloomington to attend Wesleyan college. The death of young Thompson and his own illness from typhoid fever cut short his college course and he returned to Decatur to make his own way.

Mr. Krone's next employment was as clerk in the store of Stamper & Condell where he remained until 1852. He went from there into the drug store of King & Reed next door to the Stamper & Condell store and was with this firm until 1855.


After leaving this store, Mr. Krone took the opportunity to travel about the country a bit and finally found a position in a drug store in Council Bluffs where he remained for four years. At the end of this time he returned to Decatur and took a position in the Armstrong drug store on the corner of Lincoln Square where he remained until Armstrong sold out in 18_2. He remained with the West drug store for one year and then went into business for himself. His first drug store was in the little brick building at the corner of Calhoun and Leafland. He occupied this for several years, then erected a building of his own at the corner of Calhoun and Grand avenue where he continued in the drug business for about four years and then sold out. He then erected a handsome brick store and residence at the corner of Jasper and East William streets. Mr. Krone with his son conducted a drug store in the building until he sold out in June, 1915, and finally retired from business.


Mr. Krone was actively engaged in the drug trade in Decatur for over sixty years. He was the best known druggist in the city and one of the best known in Illinois.

The Daily Review (Decatur), 3 Mar 1916

The funeral of Nathan L. Krone will be held at 2 o'clock Sunday afternoon at St. Paul's Methodist church. The services will be conducted by Rev. J.C. Brown and will be under the auspices of Beaumanoir commandery No. 9, Knights Templars. The interment will be in Greenwood. Friends may call at the residence, 2075 East William street up to noon Saturday. The casket will not be opened at the church.

The Daily Review (Decatur), 4 Mar 1916

Nathan L. Krone's funeral will be held in Decatur today. All old-timers and a great many of the later generation will remark on this. For Mr. Krone was a remarkable man.

Of course, he knew Decatur better than any other of our citizens. He came here as a wide-awake boy in 1839, when the place as but a primitive village. He lived here hearly all the intervening time until last Friday, when he went on to his reward.

Mr. Krone for twenty-five years has furnished material for more columns of reading matter than any other person in the city. All of this he took out of the storehouse of his memory. He could not have exhausted that stock had he lived to twice his age.

So far as he struck the public generally, it was in memory that Mr. Krone was strongest. He lived here more than seventy years, and it seemed that everything he encountered in all that time made a lasting impression on his mind. He could tell you what happened in 1846; also he could go over the story of 1915. The usual thing is for an old person to have a better memory for what happened in his younger days; Mr. Krone's memory was good for any part of his life. If he wished to straighten out an old time story we went to Mr. Krone, no matter whether the time was 1839 or 1879.

Many have wondered how he did it. Perhaps the explanation is that he was a man of intelligence to understand, that he moved about calmly all his days, and that he lived temperately. Add to that that he was always interested in the neighbors fully as much as in himself, that he took joy in them and their progress, and perhaps you have all that is needed to understand the man.

As friends put Nathan L. Krone away today for his long rest, we reflect with some feeling of sadness that in him has gone the last one who could tell the story of Decatur's early struggles. It seems that now we have cut away from the last of the fine old pioneers.

And they did grow some good men here in those days. Just remember that Mr. Krone in Decatur dated from 1839. We doubt that he could gather more sweetness of disposition if he were permitted to begin his life here now in this year of 1916.

The Daily Review (Decatur), 5 Mar 1916, Sunday Morning


Services Conducted by Rev. J.C. Brown at St. Paul's Church

The funeral of Nathan L. Krone, veteran druggist of Decatur was held at 2 o'clock Sunday afternoon at St. Paul's church. The services were conducted by the pastor Rev. J.C. Brown and were under the auspices of Beaumanoir commendery, No. 9, Knights Templar. The members of the order attended the services in a body, and conducted their ritualistic exercises at the curch and afterward acted as escort to the cemetery. There was a large attendance, the church being filled.

The music was furnished by the Masonic quartet composted of George Flint, I.O. Spence, J. Arthur Keith and W. Elmer White. The flowers were in charge of Mrs. J.M. Allen and Miss Benton.

The pallbearers were all past commanders of Beaumanoir commandery No. 9 Knights Templar. They were J.W. Carter, J.W. Morrison, John F. Mattes, John H. Howard, J. Sherman McClelland and Henry F. Ward. The interment was in Greenwood.

The Daily Review (Decatur), 6 Mar 1916

  KRONE, Nellie O.

The Death Angel

After a long and painful illness, Miss Nellie Krone, only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. N. L. Krone, died at the family residence, on North Water street, to-day at 11:40 a.m. Deceased was never strong, and was afflicted with spinal meningitis, coupled with typhoid fever. She was a graduate of the Decatur high school, and a most excellent young lady. The time of the funeral is yet unknown. Obituary tomorrow.

Decatur Daily Republican, 1 Jun 1880


"And she was gone, and, like a funeral knell, The winds still sigh'd - beloved, farewell!"

Died - In this city, at No. 45 N. Water street, on Tuesday, June 1, 1880, at 11:40 a.m., of spinal meningitis, Nellie O. Krone, only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. N.L. Krone, in the 23rd year of her age.

The deceased had been afflicted with the disease above-named less than three weeks, and though she rallied at intervals in the course of her painful illness, and hope entered the hearts of her parents and and friends that after all she might be spared. Death finally claimed her as his own, and her spirit left the body and was wafted to the better world to Him who gave it. In her last hours Nellie was unconscious most of the time, and kind and loving friends watched over her and with tender care ministered to her every need. Her untimely demise falls with crushing weight upon her mother, whose constant companion she was, and her father and brother are inconsolable. Deceased was born in Decatur, on April 19, 1858, and has lived in this city continuously. Her pure life has been an index to her character, which was a bright as the stars of Heaven. In health she was a most companionable young lady, with a happy and cheerful disposition, that attracted the fast friendship of all who knew her. She was a graduate of the Decatur High school, receiving her diploma on commencement day 1877. We deeply sympathize with the stricken parents and brother and the bereaved relatives of deceased, in whom was centered so much pride and so many bright hopes of a happy future, but -

    Alas! for all of human hopes and loves,
    Centered in those we dearly cherish;
    Death enters into man's abode,
    To leave his mark when our loved ones perish.


The obsequies of the deceased will take place from the 1st M.E. church on Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock, and in all probability Rev. Dr. Goodwin will officiate.

Decatur Daily Republican, 2 Jun 1880

The Dead at Rest

The funeral of the late Miss Nellie O. Krone took place from the First M.E. Church on Tuesday afternoon at 3 o'clock. The services were conducted in the lecture room of the church, which was well-filled with sympathizing friends of the family, but owing to the inability of Dr. Goodwin to arrive from Indianapolis in time to prepare an address, Rev. G.W. Miller, of Stapp's Chapel, officiated, paying a fitting tribute to the life and character of the deceased. The floral offerings were very beautiful and arranged in excellent taste. A choir composed of Mrs. Jas. C. Lake, Mrs. W.C. Armstrong, D.L. Bunn and Judd Edwards, with James Prestley as organist, rendered appropriate music for the sad occasion, singing the hymn, "Nearer My God to Thee," at the opening of the services, and closing with the anthem, "Sacred Peace." The remains were interred in Greenwood Cemetery. - Following are the names of the pall-bearers, all but one having been school mates of Nellie a few short years ago: Charles W. Tyler, Burt J. Hardy, Charles Musser, Frank Shull, Charles Walters and Steve Provost.

Decatur Daily Republican, 4 Jun 1880

  KRONE, Ruth


DIED - At the residence of her daughter, Mrs. George W. Bright, at 5 o'clock a.m. on Wednesday, Mary 9, 1883, Mrs. Ruth Krone aged 85 years, 4 months and 18 days.

The deceased, who maiden name was Ruth Worley, was born on the 21st day of January, 1798, near Little York, York county, Pennsylvania. Her parents, Nathan and Abigail Worley, were Quakers. On the 6th day of Dec. 1825, she was married by Rev. John Winebrenner to David Krone of Lewisberry, Pa. In the spring of 1839 she removed with her husband to Decatur, arriving here on the 19th of May. Mrs. Krone was the mother of eleven children. Of these seven are living. They are: Mrs. George W. Bright, Mrs. A.E. Shellabarger, Mrs. M.F. Bright, Miss Charlotte Krone, Mrs. Lydia Shepherd and Nathan L. Krone, of Decatur; Mrs. Mary Stewart, of Forsyth, and Mrs. Sophia McClurg, of St. Joseph, Mo. The dead are: Mrs. E.O. Smith, Charles Krone, Francis H. Krone and Rosaline Krone.

The deceased was surrounded with religious influences from her infancy and became a member of the Methodist church at the early age of ten years, having been converted under the preaching of Rev. John Whitfield. She was hospitable, untiring in her devotion to her children, and a faithful worker of the cross. During the last eight years of her life the afflictions of old age visited her with a heavy hand. Her memory became so impaired that she even forgot her children, but through all her troubles she rembembered the promises of God, and died in hope of reaching that life beyond the grave where all is peace and brightness and love.

Saturday Herald (Decatur), 12 Mar 1883

  KROPLE, Edward

Edward, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Karl Krople, died Friday morning, Nov 22 at the family home, 1531 East Sangamon street, aged 4 days.

The Daily Review (Decatur), 22 Nov 1901

  KUNS, Christine Jane (Goodpasture)

Mrs. Christine Kuns, 64, Oakley, died at 6:30 a.m. today in St. Mary's Hospital.

Leaves husband, Elmer, son, E.E. Kuns, Oakley, grandson, Billy Lee, Oakley.

Services 2 p.m. Sunday in Oakley United Brethren Church. Burial in North Fork Cemetery. Body to home noon Saturday.

Dodson Funeral Home in charge.

Decatur newspaper - Sat., Jan. 12, 1945

(Born, Feb 07, 1880)

  KURTZ, Benjamin Franklin

Benjamin Franklin Kurtz, an old resident of Decatur, died at 7:15 o'clock Saturday morning at the family residence, 545 East William street. He was seventy-three years old last April. His death was caused by pneumonia with which he had suffered only since last Monday.

Mr. Kurtz was born at Hanging Rock, W.VA., April 28, 1849. He came to Decatur sixty-five years ago and this has been his home ever since. He and Elizabeth Austin were married in 1882. For the last two years Mr. Kurtz had been employed at the Wabash roundhouse. He had many friends. He is survived by his wife and five children: Raymond E. Kurtz, Mrs. Mary E. Widick, Christopher Henry Kurtz and Earl L. Kurtz, all of Decatur, and Samuel Kurtz of Bloomington. There are five grandchildren.

The body was removed to Moran & Sons undertaking establishment and prepared for burial. The funeral will be held Monday afternoon. The interment will be at the Boiling Springs cemetery.

Decatur Review, 1 Jul 1922



Mrs. Grace Kuykendall, wife of Jesse Kuykendall, died at 8:30 o'clock Thursday evening at the family residence, 1741 North Warren street. She was twenty-eight years old. Her death was caused by influenze.

Mrs. Kuykendall was born near Mr. Pulaski, but lived at Niantic before coming to Decatur and was a member of the Methodist church there. She is survived by her husband and four children and her father, who is now in the soldier's home at Danville. The body was removed to Monson & Wilcox undertaking establishment and prepared for burial.

  KYLE, David


Death of the Venerable Elder David Kyle

Most people in Decatur, especially those who have been here any length of time, know the venerable gentleman who is the subject of this sketch, Elder David Kyle, who died last night at his home on Cerro Gordo street, after a brief illness, and those who knew him could not fail to love and respect him for his unquestioned integrity, his cheerful spirit and his gentle character.

Mr. Kyle was born in Perry county, Pennsylvania, September 26, 1814. In early life he became a preacher in the Church of God, then a new denomination, and spent the active years of his life in the ministry. He held numerous appointments in his native state, where he had a high reputation as a revivalist, and as an energectic worker in his chosen profession. He removed to Decatur in 1854, and for a number of years thereafter remained in the active ministry, preaching at some of the most important appointments in the Illinois Eldership, but a serious accident which happened to him at Mt. Carroll some years ago crippled him, and the infirmities of advancing years admonished him that his pupit days were over. He settled in Decatur and passed his remaining years in the quiet enjoyment of the fruits of a well spent life. He leaves a widow and one daughter, Mrs. Josie Bowman.

Elder Kyle was a man of earnest convictions, and whatever he believed he believed with all his might. And, what is more important than all else, he squared his conduct according to his convictions. He was an honest man in the best sense of the word. It would be well if we had more men like him.

The funeral will occur at 2 o'clock tomorrow afternoon at the Bethel of the Church of God, Rev. J.C. Forncrook officiating. Friends who desire to view the remains are requested to call at the house, as the casket will not be opened at the church.

Decatur Daily Republican, 31 Jan 1888

P.O. BOX 1548
DECATUR, IL 62525-1548

Other Obit Pages

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X - Y - Z

This Page Was Last Updated  Sunday, 21-Jan-2018 11:33:39 EST

Copyright 2011 by Cheryl Rothwell for ILGenWeb

All materials contained on these pages are furnished for the free use of individuals engaged in researching their personal genealogy. Any commercial use or any use for which money is asked or paid for any reason is strictly prohibited.