2nd Illinois Artillery
History of Battery I

Adjutant General's Report

Battery I was recruited in Will county, and was mustered into the United States service at Camp Butler, December 31, 1861.

The Battery remained at Camp Butler until February 7, 1862, when it was ordered to Cairo. It took part in the siege of Island Number 10, under General Pope. Upon the surrender of the Island General Pop's command was ordered to Harrisburg Landing, Tenn. Upon its arrival there it took an active part in the advance upon Corinth and was in several engagements prior to the evacuation of the place, among which was Blackland and Farmington. After the evacuation of Corinth the Battery went into Camp at Rienzi, Miss., for the summer, in General Asboth's command. September 6th, the Battery moved with General Gordon Granger's command to Cincinnati, arriving there September 12th. From thence it proceeded to Louisville and was assigned to General Sheridan's Division and started in pursuit of General Bragg, about October 1st. October 7th we went into action at daybreak at Perryville, Ky., and was under fire until dark. The Battery had four men wounded in that fight. From Perryville we moved to Nashville. On the 10th of December the Brigade to which the battery was attached (Colonel Dan McCook's) was relieved from duty under Sheridan and ordered to garrison, Nashville.

June 30, 1863, the Brigade was ordered to Murfreesboro and was stationed there one month and was then ordered back to Nashville. August 30th we left Nashville with the Second Brigade, Second Division, and marched by way of Columbia, Tennessee, Athens and Huntsville to Bridgeport, Alabama. September 13th, we went into camp at Rossville, Ga., and took an active part in the battle of Chickamauga. Fell back to Chattanooga and went into camp at the mouth of North Chickamauga Creek with Dan McCook's Brigade.

Took part in Lookout Mountain fight, Mission Ridge and Chattanooga.

January 1, 1864, all of the old members were mustered out and re-mustered in as veterans, and arrived at Springfield, Ill., Jan 16, where they were given thirty days' furlough and ordered to report for duty at Joliet, Ill.

The roster of the Battery was as follows:

Lieutenants Hayward and Haight having resigned while we were in camp at Nashville, Tenn.

The Battery left Joliet March 4, 1864, for Chattanooga, Tenn. Shortly after its arrival at Chattanooga, it was assigned to its old Division (Second) in the Fourteenth Army Corps, General Jeff. C. Davis commanding, Captain Barnett being appointed Chief of Artillery of the Division.

May 6, 1864, started on Georgia campaign, and took a prominent part up to the taking of Atlanta, the last battle being Jonesboro.

November 7, 1864, Captain Barnett resigned, and the command fell to Lieutenant Coe.

The Battery marched from Atlanta to Savannah, Ga., and while shelling a rebel battery some fifteen miles from Savannah, Lieutenant Coe was killed by a shell from the rebel battery. From Savannah it proceeded with Sherman's Army through South and North Carolina, and was in every engagement that the Fourteenth Army Corps was in.

Upon the surrender of General Johnston's Army, it proceeded to Washington, and took part in the grand review, and from there was ordered to Springfield, Ill., to be mustered out of service. Upon it being mustered out the roster of the Battery was as follows:


This Page Was Last Updated  Sunday, 21-Jan-2018 11:34:05 EST

Copyright 2011 by Cheryl Rothwell for ILGenWeb

All materials contained on these pages are furnished for the free use of individuals engaged in researching their personal genealogy. Any commercial use or any use for which money is asked or paid for any reason is strictly prohibited.