BLUE MOUND TOWNSHIP

Go To List of Patrons


Blue Mound township is among the oldest settled in the county, much of genuine historic importance and interest clusters around it. As organized, this township contains about thirty-one square miles, lying just south of the Sangamon river, in the extreme western part of the county. It is bounded on the north by Harristown, on the east by South Wheatland, on the south by Pleasant View and on the west by Christian county. The surface is generally an undulating prairie, growing more broken on approaching the river. The soil is rich and productive. Formerly, nearly one-third of the territory was covered with timber. The lands are well drained by the Sangamon river and its tributaries in the northern part, and Mosquito creek, with numerous affluents in the central and southern portions.

The first settlements of this township began in the northern part, along, or near where the Decatur and Springfield road now passes, as early as 1824. A few years later, several families settled near the southern line of the township along the banks of the Mosquito creek. To the North Carolinians belong the honor of making the first settlements in the above-named localities, and the neighborhoods were for a number of years almost entirely composed of natives of that State. As early as the year 1824 William Warnick, the first sheriff of the county, removed from the State of Tennessee, to which state he had removed from North Carolina, the land of his birth. He brought with him quite a large family and located in the northern portion of the township, where he erected a cabin, cleared a tract of land, and began farming. This was the first building of any kind, and the first attempt at farming made in the township. Three years later, in 1827, Benjamin Wilson, was born at Guilford Court-house, North Carolina, and removed from that State to Rutherford county, Tennessee, from whence he emigrated to this county and settled in the north-western portion of Blue Mound. He had a family of ordinary size, some of whom are still living near where their father located. Mr. Wilson afterward became quite a prominent man in the organization of the county and various other positions of a public nature. He married a sister of Col. Warnick, above mentioned.

The first settler in the Mosquito settlement was Dempsey Pope, who was born in North Carolina, and from there removed to Tennessee, and afterwards in 1827 emigrated to this state and located on Mosquito creek. Mr. Pope had quite a large family of well-grown children when he came to this county. Garland Hall, a native of Kentucky, in 1830 emigrated to, and settled on section 29 of this township about two miles north of the present town of Blue Mound, where he erected a cabin, broke some land, fenced it in and began farming. He brought with him a small-sized family. Wyett Cherry who was an early settler in this locality, is still residing a short distance north-west of the town of Blue Mound. William Pope was another early settler. Prominent among some of the old settlers now living in Blue Mound township, are:

The first land entered in the township was by James Edwards, March 16th, 1833, 40 acres in section No. 20; Garland Hall entered December 18th, 1833, 77.40 acres in section 19--and Dempsey Pope entered on the same day 80 acres, same section--all in township No. 15 N., R. ! E. of the 3d P.M. Benjamin Wilson entered Nov. 13th, 1827, 160 acres in section 34; also 80 acres in section 35; and on the same day Francis G. Hill entered 80 acres in section 36. The last three entries are in township No. 16 N., R. 1 E. of the 3d P.M.

The first church erected in this township was the one known as the "Mosquito Church," near the Mosquito creek, in the neighborhood of section 20. Rev. Mr. Paisley was the first preacher to lacte here. Willis Zachariah Pope, son of Dempsey and Sarah (Edwards) Pope, in the year 1828, was the first child born in this township. The first death was that of Nancy Wilson, the daughter of Benjamin Wilson; this occurred in 1828, being the nest year after the Wilson family settled here. Benjamin R. Austin, a native of Virginia, who came to this county in 1825, was the first justice of the peace; he was elected in 1822, and held this position for a number of years. He was a surveyor, and subsequently became quite prominent in Macon county. To him is due the honor of having laid out the original town plat of the city of Decatur. Austin township, in the extreme north-western part of the county, was named in his honor. Mr. Austin and his wife, Margaret (Warnick) Austin, who was a daughter of William Warnick, a colonel in the Black Hawk war, were the first couple married in this township. This occurred about the year 1825. William A. Austin, who married Eleanor Warnick, also a daughter of Col. William Warnick, settled here in 1828. Not until as late a date as 1854 was there a mill of any kind erected in this township, when Marshal Randle built a horse-power saw-mill on section 19. Greenbury Call established the first blacksmithing business for a number of years. The first post-office in the township was established at the town of Boody in 1870, with Frederick Nientker as post-master.

The supervisors who have represented this township since its organization may be seen:
J.C. Armstrong was elected in 1860
W.T. Moffett, elected in 1861
F.A. Brown, elected in 1862, and re-elected in 1863
W.T. Moffett re-elected in 1864, and by re-election continued to hold the office to 1869
R.H. Hill, elected in 1870, and re-elected in 1871
D.F. Barber, elected in 1872
Frank Coleman, elected in 1873, re-elected in 1874 and '75
W.T. Moffett, re-elected in 1876
H.H. Rosengrants, elected in 1877
R.H. Hill, re-elected in 1878
H.H. Rosengrants, re-elected in 1879 and 1880.

Town Of Boody--This place is located on the line of the Wabash, St. Louis and Pacific Railway, in the eastern portion of the township, on each side of the line dividing sections 11 and 12, about six miles southwest from Decatur. The town was named in compliment of the Hon. William Boody, the first president of the Decatur and East St. Louis Railroad. The town was originally laid out by Messrs. Neintker and Smith on sections eleven and twelve, in the year 1870. Frank Reafly erected the first dwelling-house in the same year the town was laid out; and Frederick Nientker, one of the original proprietors of the town, erected and opened the first store with a general stock of goods for sale. This was also in the same year, 1870. In 1872, Charles Mush established the first blacksmithing business. The first elevator was built by a gentleman named Binkley, about 1871; its capacity was about five thousand bushels. The post-office--Boody--was created in 1870, and Frederick NNeintker was appointed the first post-master. Dr. A.C. Douglas was the first physician to locate here. In 1874, four years after the founding of the town, the first school-house was etected, and Byron Lewis became the first teacher. T.D. Weems was another early teacher in the Boody school. Among the present business houses of the town will be found: General Stores--Sauter & Hauck, Hill & Blankenship, Martin Loewer. Elevators--Hill & Blankenship, with a capacity os wix thousand bushels, run by steam; Sauter & Hauck, with a capacity of five thousand or six thousand bushels, steam power.

Although Boody is but a small place, with perhaps not more than one hundred inhabitants, it rivals many others much larger in point of business and shipping. It is in the heart of some of the best improved and richest farms in the state, and large quantities of grain are annually handled by the two elevators above mentioned.



I found this article from a newspaper in my grandmothers scrap book. I am sending it to use in the Macon Co. site ...Helen in Texas

BOODY NAMED FOR COLONEL

Town Laid Out in 1870 by Frederick Nientker

Boody was named after Col. William Boody, first president of the Decatur & East St. Louis railroad. Exactly why Colonel Boody was chosen to be honored in this way is not known. Perhaps the founders wanted a name that was different. In this they succeeded. The Boody in Blue Mound Township is the only one listed in the U.S. Postal Guide. The town was laid out in 1870 by Frederick Nientker who owned most of the land on the site, and Rev. John D. Smith, a professional townsied promoter from California who stayed to become a stalward of the school board.

That same year Frank Reafly erected the first house and Mr. Nientker built and opened the first store, with a general stock of goods and groceries. That year also the post office was established with Mr. Nientker as postmaster. The school was not built until 1872. Byron Lewis was the first teacher. He was succeeded in 1874 by Miss Ruth Culver who was followed by I.W. Weems. This was not the first school in the area, however. That was established in 1856 one-half mile north of Boody on the Warnick farm. It was known as the "Dutch" school because of its many German pupils. By the time the new school was opened in Boody in 1872 the shool year had lenghtened from three months to five and the number of pupils had increased from 30 to 50.

The first elevator in this grain-shipping center was built by a man named Binkley about 1871. Its capacity was 5000 bushels. In 1872 Charles Mush established the first blacksmith business. Dr. A.C. Douglass was the first physician in Boody.

Boody did not receive its first church until 1889. Professor Klinfelter occupied the pulpit at the dedication on Feb 13 of that year.

Early business houses were general stores conducted by Sauter Hauck and Hill & Blankenship and a boot and shoe store run by Martin Loewer.

Partial List of Patrons

NAME RES. OCCUPATION NATIVITY SET.
Brown, Henry T. Sec 3 Farmer & Stock Raiser Ohio 1859
Sarah E. Jordan Sec 3 Wife of Henry T. Brown Macon Co, IL 1860
Barnes, J.A. Sec 4 Farmer & Stock Raiser PA 1862
Louisa R. Taylor Sec 4 Wife of J.A. Barnes Macon Co, IL 1850
Brown, Nelson F. Sec 34 Farmer & Stock Raiser Ohio 1859
Mildred A. Pasley Sec 34 Wife of Nelson F. Brown Macon Co, IL 1851
Blankinship, Lewis Sec 31 Farmer & Stock Raiser Macon Co, IL 1847
Madeline Roberts Sec 31 Wife of Lew Blankinship IN 1852
Hannah Wilson Sec 31 Mother of Lew Blankinship NC 1828
Bailey, Fred Sec 16 Farm. & Breeder of fine stock Germany 1853
Henrietta Fornhorst Sec 16 Wife of Fred Bailey Germany 1842
Crawford, John S. Sec 33 Farmer & Stock Raiser OH 1876
Polly A. Moffett Sec 33 Wife of John S. Crawford Macon Co, IL 1860
Cottle, G.F. Sec 6 Farmer & Stock Raiser Eng. 1857
Sisan E. Browning Sec 6 Wife of G.F. Cottle KY 1863
Chapman, J.E. Sec 5 Farmer & Stock Raiser Eng. 1864
Maria C. Evens Sec 5 Wife of J.E. Chapman Macon Co, IL 1854
Crow, E.W. Sec 20 Farmer & Stock Raiser OH 1857
Nannie D. Eatly Sec 20 Wife of E.W. Crow IN 1876
Delbridge, Jr., E.F. Sec 24 Farmer & Stock Raiser Prussia 1858
Louisa Pibler Sec 24 Wife of E.F. Delbridge, Jr. Cass Co, IL 1864
Hall, Benjamin A. Sec 19 Farmer & Brickmaker Macon Co, IL 1855
Sara C. Carmany Sec 19 Wife of Benjamin A. Hall OH 1866
Honer, John Sec 15 Farmer & Stock Raiser Germany 1861
Joster, Henry Sec 21 Farmer & Stock Raiser Germany 1857
Julia A. Shoop Sec 21 Wife of Henry Joster PA 1847
Jokish, Henry G. Sec 23 Farmer & Stock Raiser Germany 1868
Louisa Echhardt Sec 23 Wife of Henry G. Jokish . 1868
Jackson, J.H. Sec 26 Farmer & Stock Raiser NC 1874
Mary Bradley Dec'd 1st Wife of J.H. Jackson KY .
Mary Reed Sec 26 Pres. Wife of J.H. Jackson TN 1874
Kaup, Isaac B. Sec 31 Blacksmith & Sawmill PA 1868
Mary E. Deakins Sec 31 Wife of Isaac B. Kaup Macon Co, IL 1854
Kallenbach, H. Emil Sec 23 Farmer & Stock Raiser Cass Co, IL 1867
Lizzie Zimmerman Sec 23 Wife of Emil Kallenback Pike Co, IL 1868
Morris, John W.K. Sec 4 Farmer & Stock Raiser Macon Co, IL 1851
Anna Coe Sec 4 Wife of John Morris VA 1877
Moffett, Wm. T. Sec 32 Farmer & Stock Raiser Sangamon Co 1841
Barrows, Ellen Sec 32 Wife of Wm. T. Moffett VT 1854
Morris, Vincin Sec 8 Farmer & Stock Raiser OH 1849
Mary J. Mathews Sec 8 Wife of Vincin Morris MD 1847
Miller, Henry A. Sec 15 Farmer & Stock Raiser Germany 1857
Caroline Gimmer Sec 15 Wife of Henry A. Miller Germany 1858
Moffett, John M. Sec 34 Farmer & Stock Raiser IL 1843
Elizabeth McDonald Sec 34 Wife of John M. Moffett PA 1855
Muirheid, Wm. F. Sec 33 Farmer & Stock Raiser VA 1830
Margaret J. Hill Sec 33 Wife of Wm. F. Muirheid Macon Co, IL 1834
Robbins, John Sec 22 Farmer & Stock Raiser Sangamon Co 1869
Nancy O. Haines Sec 22 Wife of John Robbins TN 1869
Rosegrants, Hiram Sec 10 Farmer & Stock Raiser NY 1867
Sarah Mason Sec 10 Wife of Hiram Rosegrants IL 1867
Sleeter, John H. Sec 11 Farmer & Stock Raiser Macon Co, IL 1850
Hattie A. Harmel Sec 11 Wife of John H. Sleeter Prussia 1855
Smith, John D. Died 25 Feb '80 Late Husband of Margaret Smith TN .
Margaret A. Smith . Farmer & Stock Raiser KY 1874
Schnab, Christian Sec 10 Farmer & Stock Raiser Germany 1867
Elizabeth Suppes Sec 10 Wife of Christian Schnab Germany .
Stickler, John Sec 6 Farmer & Stock Raiser PA 1872
Hannah Muelbarger Sec 6 Wife of John Stickler PA 1872
Taylor, T.M. Sec 33 Farmer & Stock Raiser Macon Co, IL 1850
Theola D. Farnsworth Sec 33 Wife of T.M. Taylor OH 1868
Taylor, James Y. Sec 4 Farmer & Stock Raiser IL 1836
Elizabeth Moffett Sec 4 Wife of James Y. Taylor IL 1841
Wilson, Wm. H. Sec 19 St. Saw-mill & Lumber Dealer OH 1878
Mary E. Elder Sec 19 Wife of Wm. H. Wilson IL 1878
Weatherford, W.H. Sec 15 Farmer, Stock Raiser & Twp. Asses. VA 1858
Amanda Newman Sec 15 Wife of W.H. Weatherford TN 1858
J.C. Sudy Sec 21 Farmer & Stock Raiser Germany 1868
Lanah Yoder Sec 21 Wife of J.C. Sudy Lancaster, PA 1847




History Index
Home


This Page Was Last Updated  

Copyright 2011 by Gayle Jones for ILGenWeb



All materials contained on these pages are furnished for the free use of individuals engaged in researching their personal genealogy. Any commercial use or any use for which money is asked or paid for any reason is strictly prohibited.